1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity?

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    angular velocity???!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I am a 1st yr biomechanics student and I am having a lot of problems figuring this stuff out and I have an exam coming up and I'm kinda panicing!!! lol! ok here is the exact problem:

"A 60kg diver is positioned so that his radius of gyration is 0.5m as he leaves the board with an angular velocity of 14rad/sec. What is the diver's angular velocity when he assumes a 'tuck' position, altering his radius of gyration to 0.3m?"

My conundrum comes because the formulas we were given all include a 'change in time' to be used in the equation. Maybe (yes, definately!) I am missing something here so can someone please educate me as to how I would go about solving this problem and the formula that I am supposed to use.

Thanks very much in advance,

- One confused young man (a.k.a. Jay) :confused:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Giving you the radius of gyration and the mass is a way of giving you the moments of inertia (and I had to look that up). Think about conservation of angular momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?