Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular velocity?

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    angular velocity???!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I am a 1st yr biomechanics student and I am having a lot of problems figuring this stuff out and I have an exam coming up and I'm kinda panicing!!! lol! ok here is the exact problem:

"A 60kg diver is positioned so that his radius of gyration is 0.5m as he leaves the board with an angular velocity of 14rad/sec. What is the diver's angular velocity when he assumes a 'tuck' position, altering his radius of gyration to 0.3m?"

My conundrum comes because the formulas we were given all include a 'change in time' to be used in the equation. Maybe (yes, definately!) I am missing something here so can someone please educate me as to how I would go about solving this problem and the formula that I am supposed to use.

Thanks very much in advance,

- One confused young man (a.k.a. Jay) :confused:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Giving you the radius of gyration and the mass is a way of giving you the moments of inertia (and I had to look that up). Think about conservation of angular momentum.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook