Homework EquationsN/A The Attempt at a SolutionN/A

In summary, a first year biomechanics student is struggling with a problem involving a 60kg diver who has an initial angular velocity of 14rad/sec and a radius of gyration of 0.5m. The student is confused about how to solve the problem without a "change in time" in the equation. However, it can be solved using conservation of angular momentum and the given information of the diver's mass and altered radius of gyration of 0.3m.
jayty22
angular velocity?!

Homework Statement

Hello, I am a 1st yr biomechanics student and I am having a lot of problems figuring this stuff out and I have an exam coming up and I'm kinda panicing! lol! ok here is the exact problem:

"A 60kg diver is positioned so that his radius of gyration is 0.5m as he leaves the board with an angular velocity of 14rad/sec. What is the diver's angular velocity when he assumes a 'tuck' position, altering his radius of gyration to 0.3m?"

My conundrum comes because the formulas we were given all include a 'change in time' to be used in the equation. Maybe (yes, definately!) I am missing something here so can someone please educate me as to how I would go about solving this problem and the formula that I am supposed to use.

Thanks very much in advance,

- One confused young man (a.k.a. Jay) :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Giving you the radius of gyration and the mass is a way of giving you the moments of inertia (and I had to look that up). Think about conservation of angular momentum.

Homework Equations
N/A

The Attempt at a Solution
N/A. angular velocity?!

Hi Jay, first of all, don't panic! Biomechanics can be a challenging subject, but with some effort and practice, you can understand it. Let's take a look at this problem together.

The initial angular velocity of the diver leaving the board is 14 rad/sec. This means that he is rotating at a rate of 14 radians per second. Remember that angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, just like linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

Now, the diver changes his position and alters his radius of gyration to 0.3m. This means that his body is now rotating around a smaller radius, which will affect his angular velocity. In order to calculate his new angular velocity, we need to use the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

In this case, the diver is the system and he is not experiencing any external torques, so his angular momentum remains constant. The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

We can rearrange this formula to solve for ω: ω = L/I. Since we know that the diver's initial angular momentum is equal to his final angular momentum, we can set up the equation: I1ω1 = I2ω2, where I1 and ω1 are the initial values and I2 and ω2 are the final values.

We know that the moment of inertia is related to the radius of gyration by the equation I = mk^2, where m is mass and k is radius of gyration. So for the initial position, we have I1 = mk1^2 and for the final position, we have I2 = mk2^2.

Substituting these values into our equation, we get mk1^2ω1 = mk2^2ω2. We can now solve for ω2: ω2 = (mk1^2ω1)/(mk2^2). Since we are given the values of k1 = 0.5m, k2 = 0.3m, m = 60kg, and ω1 = 14rad

1. What are the most important equations to know for doing homework in a science class?

The equations you need to know for homework will depend on the specific subject and topic you are studying. However, some commonly used equations in science classes include the Pythagorean theorem, Newton's laws of motion, the ideal gas law, and the quadratic equation.

2. How can I remember all the different equations for different subjects?

One way to remember equations is to practice using them regularly. You can also create flashcards or cheat sheets to refer to when needed. Additionally, understanding the concepts behind the equations can help you remember them better.

3. Can I use a calculator for homework equations?

It depends on the teacher's instructions for the specific assignment. Some teachers may allow or even require the use of a calculator, while others may want you to show your work by hand. It's always best to check with your teacher if you are unsure.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a homework equation?

If you are having trouble solving a homework equation, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online to see how they are solved. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

5. Are there any tips for making solving equations easier?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work with equations, the easier they will become. Also, make sure you understand the underlying concepts and formulas, rather than just memorizing them. And don't be afraid to break down a complex equation into smaller, more manageable steps.