Angular Velocity of 10 N m Applied Disk - 2 Revolutions

In summary, we are given a torque of 10 N m applied to a 10 kg disk of radius 0.2 m initially at rest. Using the formula I=1/2mr^2, we calculate the moment of inertia to be 0.2. Dividing the torque by the moment of inertia, we get an angular acceleration of 50 rad/s^2. To find the angular velocity of the disk after completing two revolutions, we use the angular version of one of the standard kinematic equations, resulting in an angular velocity of 12.60 rad/s.
tica86
A torque of 10 N m is applied to a 10 kg disk of radius 0.2 m initially at rest. What is the angular acceleration of the disk?

I used I=1/2mr^2 so
1/2*10*0.2^2=.2

10Nm/0.2= 50 rad/s^2?

(With regard to the previous problem) The applied torque of 10 N m gets the disk rotating starting from rest. What is the angular velocity of the disk about an axis through its center, after it has completed two revolutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tica86! :smile:

(have a theta: θ an omega: ω and an alpha: α and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
tica86 said:
A https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=175" of 10 N m is applied to a 10 kg disk of radius 0.2 m initially at rest. What is the angular acceleration of the disk?

I used I=1/2mr^2 so
1/2*10*0.2^2=.2

10Nm/0.2= 50 rad/s^2?

looks good! :biggrin:
(With regard to the previous problem) The applied torque of 10 N m gets the disk rotating starting from rest. What is the angular velocity of the disk about an axis through its center, after it has completed two revolutions?

you have ωi α and t, and you want θ …

(that's like having vi a and t, and wanting s)

so use the angular version of one of the standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ an omega: ω and an alpha: α and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

looks good! :biggrin:

you have ωi α and t, and you want θ …

(that's like having vi a and t, and wanting s)

so use the angular version of one of the standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations :wink:

Ok, so I tried 4*3.14=12.56
12.56^2/2*50rad/s^2= 1.57
square root=12.60??
Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

(have a square-root: √ and a pi: π and please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
tica86 said:
12.56^2/2*50rad/s^2= 1.57
square root=12.60??

uhh? :redface: what formula are you using? :confused:

The angular velocity of the disk can be calculated using the formula ω = √(2τ/I), where τ is the applied torque and I is the moment of inertia. Plugging in the given values, we get ω = √(2*10 N m/(1/2*10 kg*0.2^2 m^2)) = 10 rad/s. After completing two revolutions, the disk has traveled a distance of 4π radians, which is equivalent to 2 complete revolutions. Therefore, the final angular velocity of the disk would be 20 rad/s.

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around a central axis.

2. How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes to make that change. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

3. What does "10 N m Applied Disk" mean?

"10 N m Applied Disk" refers to the torque or rotational force that is being applied to the disk. The unit of measurement, N m, represents the force (N) multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation (m).

4. What does "2 Revolutions" mean?

"2 Revolutions" refers to the number of times the disk has rotated completely around its central axis. This means that the disk has made two full circles during the specified time period.

5. How is Angular Velocity affected by external forces?

External forces, such as torque or friction, can affect the angular velocity of an object by changing the speed or direction of its rotation. This is because these forces can either increase or decrease the object's angular momentum, which is directly related to angular velocity.