Angular Velocity Homework: Cylinder, 10kg Mass, 50m High

In summary: I think radians per second is the most useful unit here. If you want to convert to revolutions per second, divide by 2π radians per revolution.But I don't know what the other units mean, so I'm not sure what you want to convert to.
mollybethe

Homework Statement

a cylinder, r= 0.5 m with a mass 100 kg which is hanging 50 m above the ground. A rope of negligible mass which is 25 m long is wrapped around the cylinder. At the end of the rope a 10 kg mass is hanging. The hanging mass will fall and the rope will spin off the cylinder. What is ω at that point?

Homework Equations

I=.5MR^2
W=Fd
F=ma
Energy: W=.5Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial angular velocity is 0 rad/s
r=.5m
F=ma=10*9.8=98N
W=98*25=2450 J
I=.5*100*.5^2=12.5
2450=.5*12.5w^2
w=19.79rad/s?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mollybethe! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
mollybethe said:
r=.5m
F=ma=10*9.8=98N
W=98*25=2450 J
I=.5*100*.5^2=12.5
2450=.5*12.5w^2
w=19.79rad/s?

too difficult to read :redface:

use conservation of energy :smile:

(and you'll need an equation relating v and ω)​

Homework Equations

I=.5Mr2
Work=Fd
Force=ma
Energy: mgh=.5Iω2

The Attempt at a Solution

r=.5m
F=ma=(10)(9.8)=98N
W=(98)(25)=2450 J
I=(.5)(100)(.52)=12.5
2450=(.5)12.5ω2
ω=19.79rad/s---is that even close to right?

The gravitational potential energy that comes from the mass descending is going to end up as kinetic energy in both the mass (as its velocity) and the cylinder (as its rotation). Your solution is putting all of the energy into the cylinder, so the rotation rate you're finding is a bit too high.

Does that mean I need to use the energy equation:

mgh=Iω2+.5mv2

To find v=at; have to find Xf=.5at2
t=2.26s; v=9.8(2.26)=22.15m/s

(10)(9.8)(25)=(12.5)ω2+.5(10)22.152
but that gives me -.16 for ω2??

Is my mgh correct?

Last edited:
Rotational energy is (1/2)Iω2.

Yes, you want to equate the potential energy to the total energy as you surmised:

mgh = (1/2)Iω2 + (1/2)mv2

Now, if you can find a relationship between ω and v, you can replace one of them and solve for for the other.

mollybethe said:
v=rω.

But isn't .5mv2 the energy in the falling mass, I wasn't given the radius...

Yes, that's the energy of the falling mass.

The problem statement said, "Imagine a cylinder of radius 0.5 m with a mass of 100 kg". So you have the radius of the cylinder.

Can I do that? Can I replace ω with (v/r)? Is it the same velocity? So then my answer would be:

mgh=(1/2)Iω2 + (1/2)mv2

2450=v2(30)

v=9.04 m/s

ω=(9.04/.5)=18.07 rev/s?

Yup. That looks fine.

The radius of the cylinder is r, and the rope will be unspooling with velocity v. This is the same as having the circumference of the cylinder rotating with tangential velocity v. So that v = ωr.

Thank you for your help, it shouldn't be radians/sec, should I convert it?

mollybethe said:
Thank you for your help, it shouldn't be radians/sec, should I convert it?

Ah, I missed checking your units. Sorry about that. The 18.07 is in radians per second, not revolutions per second. If you want some other units you'll have to convert.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a property of an object that describes how difficult it is to change its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a cylinder?

The moment of inertia for a cylinder is given by the formula I = (1/2)mr^2, where m is the mass of the cylinder and r is the radius of the cylinder.

5. What is the final angular velocity of a 10kg cylinder dropped from a 50m height?

To calculate the final angular velocity, we need to know the initial angular velocity, which is 0 since the cylinder is initially at rest. Using the formula ω^2 = ω0^2 + 2αΔθ, where α is the angular acceleration and Δθ is the change in angle, we can solve for ω. In this case, α = g/r, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and r is the radius of the cylinder. Plugging in the values, we get ω = √(2gΔh/r), where Δh is the height the cylinder falls. Therefore, the final angular velocity of the 10kg cylinder dropped from a 50m height is √(2(9.8 m/s^2)(50m)/r) = 14.14 rad/s.