1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular width & height

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From my astronomy textbook: "The photograph that opens this chapter was taken next to the Gemini North Observatory atop Mauna Kea in in Hawaii. The telescope is at longitude 155 28' 09" west and latitude 19 49' 26" north. a) By making measurements on the photograph, find the approximate angular width and angular height of the photo. b) How far (in degres, arcminutes, and arc-seconds) from the south celestial pole can a star be and still be circumpolar as seen from the Gemini North Observatory?

2. Relevant equations

The Small Angle Formula D=ad/206,265 where D= linear size of an object, a=angular size of the object in arcsec, and d= distance to the object

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't even understand what the two questions are asking for. Can someone get me started and possibly talk me through this one? Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted