What Happens to Angular Speed When Moment of Inertia Increases?

• Thread starter ghostbuster25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Speed
In summary: So disk initial momentum = (disk+object) final momentumdisk initial momentum = disk final momentum + object final momentumdisk final momentum = disk initial momentum - object final momentumDisk final momentum = I*18 - 1.5I*18= 18I - 27I= -9IIn summary, the small object landing on the large disk with moment of inertia I and initial angular speed of 18 rad/s changes the moment of inertia to 1.5I and causes the final angular speed to be 27 rad/s. This is determined using the equation L=I\omega, where L is the angular momentum of the disk and has a relationship with the angular speed. However, according
ghostbuster25
A large flat disk with moment of inertia I is spinning with angular speed 18 rad/s
a small object lands on the disk and changes the moment of inertia to 1.5I

what is the new speed?

i used L=I[tex]\omega[/tex] to give me 18*1.5=27 rad/s

i used this because L is the angular momentum of the disk and has a relationship with the angular speed.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
ghostbuster25 said:
A large flat disk with moment of inertia I is spinning with angular speed 18 rad/s

what is the new speed?

i used this because L is the angular momentum of the disk and has a relationship with the angular speed.

Is this correct?

Do you have an equation showing the conservation of angular momentum ie the angular momentum before and after the object lands on the disk? If the moment of Inertia of the item with angular momentum increases, should the angular speed also increase? don't think so...

Last edited:

ghostbuster25 said:

what is the new speed?

Is this correct?

I think answer is incorrect.
By the law of conservation of momentum,
disk initial momentum+object initial momentum =(disk+object) final momentum
object initial momentum is zero.

1. What is angular speed of a disk?

The angular speed of a disk is the rate at which the disk rotates around its central axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is the angular speed of a disk calculated?

The angular speed of a disk can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of a disk?

The angular speed of a disk can be affected by the radius of the disk, the torque applied to the disk, and the mass of the disk. The angular speed will also increase as the applied force or torque increases.

4. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed refers to the rate of rotation of an object around a central axis, while linear speed refers to the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in rotational units, while linear speed is measured in units of distance over time, such as meters per second.

5. What is the relationship between angular speed and frequency?

Angular speed and frequency are directly proportional. This means that as the angular speed of a disk increases, so does its frequency (the number of rotations per unit time). The relationship between angular speed (ω) and frequency (f) can be represented by the equation f = ω/2π.