1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anharmonic Pendulum

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1

cj

Suppose I have a simple pendulum whose period was designed to be exactly 2 seconds. I am able to time the period reliably to within 0.03s. What is the smallest amplitude, in degrees, I would need to use before I could see the anharmonic effects in this pendulum?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are 'seeing' the anharmonic effects only through a measurement of T, I can't see how the amplitude plays any role at all.

Perhaps, I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do here...

4. Aug 1, 2004 #3

cj

There's a point, beyond which, it won't behave
    harmonically -- rather anharmonically.

The value of T is related to this.

5. Aug 2, 2004 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is basically when the 'small angle' approximation is no longer valid.
    We can't solve the the differential equation without this approximation:
    [tex]\ddot\theta+\frac{mgl}{I}\sin\theta =0[/tex]
    Where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle with the vertical, m is the mass of your pendulum,l is the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation and I is the moment of intertia about the axis of rotation.

When the angle is small, then [itex]\sin\theta\approx \theta[/itex] and we can solve de diferrential equation.

I think it must be solved numerically. A way to measure when visible anharmonic effects arise is to see when the period of the oscillation is greater than 0.03 s off with the expected value. Don't know how to calculate it though...

6. Aug 2, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We may go a few steps further, before resorting to numerical means:
    We start with Galileo's equation, and add a couple of initial conditions:
    [tex]\ddot{\theta}+\omega^{2}\sin\theta=0,\theta(0)=\theta_{0},\dot{\theta}(0)=0[/tex]
    We multiply the equation with [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] integrate, rearrange, and utilize intitial conditions, and gain:
    [tex]\dot{\theta}=\pm\omega\sqrt{2(\cos\theta-\cos\theta_{0})}[/tex]

The negative root is used on time intervals where [tex]\theta\to{-\theta_{0}}[/tex]
    (assuming [tex]\theta_{0}>0[/tex])

We thereby gain:
    [tex]T=\frac{2}{\omega}\int_{-\theta_{0}}^{\theta_{0}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2(\cos\theta-\cos\theta_{0})}}[/tex]

In the harmonic case, we have [tex]T_{h}=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex]

Hence, given a relative error bound [tex]\epsilon[/tex] we gain the bound of the initial angle as:
    [tex]|1-\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\theta_{0}}^{\theta_{0}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2(\cos\theta-\cos\theta_{0})}}|<\epsilon[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  7. Aug 3, 2004 #6

cj

Thanks very much arildno.

Question: does the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in the equation

[tex]|1-\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\theta_{0}}^{\theta_{0}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2(\cos\theta-\cos\theta_{0})}}|<\epsilon[/tex]

specifically refer to the uncertainty (in my case, 0.03)?

8. Aug 3, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, it does not!
    [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the relative error bound, that is:

[tex]\epsilon=|\frac{(2\pm0.03)-2}{2}|=0.015[/tex]

9. Aug 3, 2004 #8

cj

Got it -- thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook