Human Eye Structure: Investigating the Adaptive Function

In summary, Humans have smaller irises compared to most animals and instead use the whites of their eyes for communication. The adaptive function of this is for interpersonal communication. For developing "alien" species, it is important to consider their environment and look at animals in similar environments on Earth. Evolution does not have a purpose or specific adaptation, but rather is a result of random selection. There is no specific book on the function of different features based on evolution, but searching for convergent or parallel evolution can provide some information. It is also helpful to start with a certain environment or animal when creating a new species.
drcathyc
I've noticed that most animals have irises that fill the entire eye,but humans do not. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Does our sclera provide us something unique? What's the adaptive function one way or the other?

This question has been bugging me for weeks.

Thanks

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Humans use the "whites" of of their eyes for interpersonal communication, which is adaptive behavior.

Try this: http://www.semioticon.com/people/articles/interactions.htm

Thanks. In addition to being a psychologist, I'm a science fiction writer and in developing "alien" species, I need to have a good understanding of the adaptive benefits of various biological features.

If anyone knows of a good reference, please let me know. I really do appreciate it.

probably the best way to develop an alien species is to start by describing the environment they evolved in, and then look at animals in similar environments here on earth. that will give you a good place to start looking for adaptive traits.

One important factor to keep in mind when designing evolution-based critters is that evolution does not have a purpose, nor does any particular adaptation. While we like to say such things all the time, Arctic foxes did not evolve white fur "so that they could" have camouflage in the snow, and birds did not evolve flight "so that they could" escape predators.

Evolution is more like throwing random stuff at a wall and taking the stuff that sticks.

Rewind Earth's history and set it moving again, and foxes and birds might very well find completely different mechanisms allow them to survive.

Thanks for the suggestions and reminders. I have started in several cases with the environments and worked from there. One species evolved on a rather colder world than ours. So they are on the average only about 1.5 meters tall. They have a lot of subcutaneous fat.

Watching the series "Planet Earth" has simply astounded me with images of the diversity of earth. DaveC: you're completely right that try evolution again and plants and animals will likely develop differently, even given the same environment.

I have also heard that humans may not be evolving biologically much anymore since our survival does not depend on biological adaptation, as compared to technological adaptation. I don't know if I agree, but it's an interesting concept.

Again, I ask: is there any good reference book decribing how different features function based on evolution. I wonder if such a book exists.

Try a google on convergent evolution, which is what you are asking about. PS: IMO, try to ignore wikipedia, because most articles there are changed/attacked by people who think evolution is bunk - for religious reasons usually under the guise of pseudo-science.

Examples: Euphorbias and cactuses evolved in disjunct but similar similar environments and have similar adaptations - thorns, water-retaining tissues, few leaves, shallow root systems, etc.

To my knowledge there is no book on the subject of convergent evolution.
Another, not precisely identical term is parallel evolution, which is an older concept.

drcathyc said:
Again, I ask: is there any good reference book decribing how different features function based on evolution. I wonder if such a book exists.

The book you are asking for would be monstrous; descriptions of all the millions of different features for all the millions of different animals that exist or have existed on earth. That's why I said you should start with a certain environment, or a particular animal who may be similar in some way to the race you're trying to create. You have to narrow your field.

1. What is the structure of the human eye?

The human eye is composed of several different structures that work together to help us see. These include the cornea, iris, lens, retina, and optic nerve. The cornea and lens focus light onto the retina, which contains photoreceptor cells that convert light into electrical signals. These signals are then sent to the brain through the optic nerve, where they are processed into the images we see.

2. What is the adaptive function of the human eye?

The adaptive function of the human eye is to allow us to see and interpret our surroundings. Our eyes have evolved to be able to adjust to different levels of light, focus on both near and far objects, and perceive a wide range of colors. This allows us to gather information about our environment and make decisions based on what we see.

3. How does the human eye adapt to different lighting conditions?

The human eye has several mechanisms for adapting to different lighting conditions. The iris, which is the colored part of the eye, can change the size of the pupil to control the amount of light that enters. The retina also contains cells called rods and cones that adjust their sensitivity to light. In bright light, the cones are more active, while in dim light, the rods take over.

4. What is the role of the lens in the human eye?

The lens of the human eye is responsible for focusing light onto the retina. It accomplishes this by changing shape to adjust the focal length, allowing us to see objects at different distances. As we age, the lens can become less flexible, which can result in a condition called presbyopia where it becomes more difficult to focus on near objects.

5. How does the human eye perceive color?

The retina contains cells called cones that are responsible for color vision. These cones are sensitive to different wavelengths of light, which are perceived by our brain as different colors. There are three types of cones that correspond to the primary colors of red, green, and blue. The brain processes the signals from these cones to create the full spectrum of colors we can see.