Old Testament Eating Laws: Why Are We Still Eating Prohibited Animals?

• Thread starter lwymarie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary: Please do not respond to this thread any more.In summary, the conversation discusses the Old Testament's dietary restrictions and questions why Christians still eat prohibited foods. The conversation also touches on the influence of religion on food choices and the belief in forgiveness for sins. Some members express their opinions and others urge to stay on topic and avoid religious discussions.
lwymarie
in the Old Testament, Moses stated that some animals could not be eaten, e.g. pigs, etc.
So why are we (esp. Christians) still eating them now?
Why does the Church allow people to eat them??

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should ancient, worthless superstitions like Christianity determine what we should eat?

arildno said:
Why should ancient, worthless superstitions like Christianity determine what we should eat?
That's an astonishingly disrespectful thing to say. Just because you don't follow a belief doesn't mean it's all right to blithely throw empty insults at it.

Oh, I didn't mean them to be empty.

arildno said:
You are a bad boy, arildno! :smile:

Perhaps lwymarie was really asking why folks who profess to believe stuff from the bible don't really follow its dictums all that carefully? (Not that I'm complaining. The last thing I'd want to see is people following the "real" 10 commandments as stated in the bible!)

arildno said:

You probably didn't mean to sound so juvenile either. Why don't you just call them pants-on-fire stupidheads? Namecalling because you like the sound of your own voice (since it sure wasn't for the sake of helping out the OP) is trollish.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Now that's witty! :rofl:

The reason, I guess, why Christians may sin at all and still be Christians is that there is apparently some get-out-of-jail-free card that says as long as you accept God's grace before you die he will forgive you your sins. So pork out all you like, just as long as you feel bad about it before you die.

lwymarie said:
in the Old Testament, Moses stated that some animals could not be eaten, e.g. pigs, etc. So why are we (esp. Christians) still eating them now? Why does the Church allow people to eat them??

You'll have to forgive arildno, he's religio-psychotic and that makes him forget his manners when it comes to religion (otherwise he's a nice guy :smile: ).

The commonly accepted explanation for the Jewish (and Muslim too) prohibition of pork was because of the dangers of trichinosis. I'm pretty sure the ancient tribal prohibition came about in the absence of realizing cooking pork more solves the problem (because it kills the trichina larvae). Knowing what we know now about high cholesteorol foods, pork seems like a pretty good food to have avoided. Some of the other food laws can also be seen as aiding digestion, such as not eating dairy and grain at the same time (a principle today among some people who recommend what's called "food combining").

On the other hand, those who complain about people following dictums (from whereever) without understanding the reasons behind them have a point when they suggest it isn't the smartest way to make decisions (although I don't understand Doc Al's problem with the ten commandments, they seem decent enough rules to me . . . or was that sarcasm?).

Anyway, I've found a much better set of rules to live by http://www.storewars.org/flash/index.html . . . what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer why Christians don't feel like they have to obey some of the Jewish stuff. Paul lobbied against having to become Jewish before being accepted as a follower of Christ. It was quite the disagreement, with the Jerusalem circle (lead by Peter) insistent about circumcision, diet, etc., and Paul out roaming about the Mediterranean telling non-Jews they just had to have faith in Christ. As most people know, Paul won the dispute and so today the details of Jewish temple religion are considered irrelevant by most Christians.

Last edited:
El Hombre Invisible said:
The reason, I guess, why Christians may sin at all and still be Christians is that there is apparently some get-out-of-jail-free card that says as long as you accept God's grace before you die he will forgive you your sins. So pork out all you like, just as long as you feel bad about it before you die.

You probably know religion discussions are not allowed at PF unless one can relate them to formal philosophical issues, and religion bashing isn't a philosophical issue.

There are interesting issues involved with religion, such as why it is people want to be "good," or have some ultimate set of rules they can believe are the "truth," or the hope for continued existence after the body fails, etc.

There are some pretty smart people who are religious, so you can't attribute it to pure stupidity. I'm not religious but I don't believe everyone who is can be written off as mindless sheep.

this thread directly conflicts with our no religious topics policy.

1. What are the Old Testament eating laws?

The Old Testament eating laws are a set of dietary restrictions outlined in the Hebrew Bible, specifically in the book of Leviticus. These laws dictate which animals are considered clean and acceptable for consumption, and which animals are considered unclean and forbidden to eat.

2. Why were these eating laws established?

The Old Testament eating laws were established for several reasons. One reason was for health and hygiene purposes. The Israelites were living in a time where food safety and hygiene practices were not well understood, and these laws helped protect them from consuming potentially harmful or diseased animals. Another reason was for cultural and religious purposes. The Israelites were commanded to be set apart from other nations, and these laws helped to distinguish them and remind them of their relationship with God.

3. What animals are prohibited by these eating laws?

Some of the animals prohibited by the Old Testament eating laws include pork, shellfish, certain types of fish, and scavenger animals such as vultures and scavenging birds. These animals were considered unclean and forbidden for consumption because of their habits and potential health risks.

4. Why do some people still follow these eating laws today?

Some religious groups, such as Jews and Seventh-day Adventists, continue to follow the Old Testament eating laws as part of their religious beliefs and practices. They view these laws as still relevant and important for maintaining their relationship with God and living a healthy lifestyle.

5. Are there any scientific reasons for following these eating laws?

While the Old Testament eating laws were established for mainly cultural and religious reasons, there are some scientific benefits that can be derived from following them. For example, avoiding certain animals that are known to carry diseases or parasites can help protect against potential health risks. Additionally, many of the prohibited animals are high in fat and cholesterol, so avoiding them can contribute to a healthier diet.