Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Animated Avatars

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    Hello. I have seen a few animated avatars appear on the forums, however, whenever I try to upload an animated picture, I get told that animated pictures cannot be uploaded.

Is there a trick around this?

-Jeans

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Save the avatar gif file on your computer. On your userpage here at PF, enter the source for the avatar as the url, and your saved gif as the file.

There may be an easier way, but that's what worked for me.

4. Dec 22, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't that just the same procedure as uploading a normal avatar from ones computer? I think Math Jeans can do that, but the problem is when the avatar happens to be an animated gif. Which is weird, because I upload animated gif's the same way I do normal avatars without any problems.

5. Dec 23, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may be that I'm doing it the hard way, but that was the first thing that worked for me.

6. Dec 23, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I get a message saying no animated images allowed. You must be special.

7. Dec 23, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I wonder if it has to do with the date on which one joined. Perhaps the older accounts have some restriction that the newer accounts do not?

8. Dec 23, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just tried with redbelly's and loaded it fine and I'm ancient in PF terms. Remember there are other restrictions on avatars such as file size and pixel size.

9. Dec 24, 2008 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Size shouldn't be an issue. This is the only response I get...

Attached Files:

10. Dec 24, 2008 #9
    The pic that I am trying to upload is well under the size and pixel restrictions. I just cant get it to upload.

Lucky me.

11. Dec 25, 2008 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A while back [at least a year ago], when I saw someone had an animated avatar, I tried to update mine to one. But I got the same "cannot upload animated images" error. More recently [a few months ago], when I saw that someone had updated theirs to an animated avatar, I tried the same animated avatar again... and it worked. [My "Recognitions" have been the same for at least a year.]

So, try, try again... (?)

12. Dec 25, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you try what I suggested? Are you uploading from a website or your computer?

13. Dec 25, 2008 #12
    Yes. I tried both.

14. Dec 25, 2008 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm, not that there should be any connection here, but:

Redbelly98, robphy, Kurdt: CAN upload animated avatars, and have received Visitor Messages on their profile page.

Math Jeans, FredGarvin: CANNOT upload animated avatars, and HAVEN'T received any Visitor Messages on their profile page.

Just for the heck of it, I'll be posting a VM to Math Jeans after posting this. MJ, see if that does anything with your avatar ability.

EDIT: I had a similar theory with Blog entries, but Kurdt has no blog entries yet can do animated avatars. Anyway, this totally a long shot, it would mean some weird bug or glitch is at work.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  15. Dec 25, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you provide a link? I'll be glad to see if it works for me.

16. Dec 26, 2008 #15
  17. Dec 26, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  18. Dec 26, 2008 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I managed to upload it and it was animated but I had to resize it to the 75 x 75 pixel limit rather than the 100 x 100 of the original.

It still doesn't explain why some get error messages though.

19. Dec 26, 2008 #18
    Ok. I renewed my membership, and luckily for me, it also restored all of my previous contribution status settings. Horray!

What my real question is is whether the edit that prohibits animated avatars was deliberate or accidental. Something with such a clear message doesn't look like it came accidentally, but it could also be an inherint program built into this particular web format.

20. Dec 26, 2008 #19
    Well, I was just poking around the general discussion threads, and I saw Janus with the animated avatar that I've been trying to upload. No fair!

21. Dec 26, 2008 #20

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan PMed me to see if I could help, so I was playing around to see if I could get it to work. I came up with the same solution as Kurdt. Re-size the image. As you saw, it worked for me. I have now gone back to my original avatar. (It took awhile as I has to find which CD-ROM I had archived it to.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?