Animated Avatars

• Thread starter Math Jeans
  • Start date
and then re-sized it with Animation Shop Pro.
You can't just use Paint? That's what I did unless I did something wrong.

Evo
Mentor
You can use any software that allows you to resize.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just tried resizing an animated gif in Paint. Then when I saved the file, it was no longer animated. It was just a gif of the 1st frame in the animation.

Are you sure the file is still animated after you save it from Paint? The file currently linked to in post #15 is not.

I just had a creepy thought about Kurdt's new avatar lifting its eyebrow.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just had a creepy thought about Kurdt's new avatar lifting its eyebrow.
Muahaha!

Nothing like a creepy avatar to get the ladies talking. Evo has already expressed her fear of it. :smile:

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

I found the 100x100 original version here
attempting-to-give-a-damn.gif

I saved it onto my hard drive, then tried to make it my avatar. I did not get any error message, BUT the image was automatically resized to 75x75 AND it was no longer animated. My avatar became the 1st frame of the animation.

So, it looks like editing these files requires a special software that specifically handles animated gif's. A freeware program that does this is Microsoft GIF Animator (which I have been using):
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/12053

Jeans, you might try downloading that and seeing what you can do with it. It won't do the resizing, but you could save the individual frames as individual files, resize those in Paint, then put the resized frames back together using the GIF Animator program.

A question I have is, have you definitely tried an avatar that is animated AND of correct size (less than 75x75 pixels and 19.5 kB)? So far we have only seen an oversized 100x100 file as well as a non-animated 75x75 one.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think Janus and myself managed to have an animated version after we resized it but I used photoshop.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Redbelly,
I tried DL'ing your animated avatar to my computer and then use it for mine. I still get the no no message I posted earlier.

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for something like that.

Evo
Mentor
I think Janus and myself managed to have an animated version after we resized it but I used photoshop.
I must have used another software than paint, it's been awhile.

Lisa!
Gold Member
My avatar was too animated that it's been able to escap from here!

I just tried resizing an animated gif in Paint. Then when I saved the file, it was no longer animated. It was just a gif of the 1st frame in the animation.

Are you sure the file is still animated after you save it from Paint? The file currently linked to in post #15 is not.
Yeah, sorry about that. I kinda messed around with the photo a bit on photobucket.

i've noticed that my browser will play animated gifs just fine, even when the file extension has been renamed to jpg. maybe try lying. rename your gif to jpg and see if it works.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In another thread I heard about this website:
http://www.smileygenerator.us/tools/animation_tools/gifresize/index.php [Broken]
which will resize gif files, even animated ones. That should help with resizing the "give a damn" image and keeping the animation.

As for the problem of some users unable to upload animations, that's another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like animation avatar, and I like to have a signatuer :sad:
Why the forums don't let users freely edit it ?

....I am thinking....Hmmmm Is it because science forums have many members or visitors who are not actually good at web/internet ? :smile:

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can have an avatar and a signature if you become a Contributor. Click on "Upgrade", at the top left of this web page, for more details. The cost is 15 $US.

wavering
Gold Member
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I too am getting the message that I cannot have an animated avator. The engine (vBulletin) that powers this forum is used elsewhere and I seem to remember having the same problem on another forum (Xtreme VB)

I think maybe there is a restriction that animated avators are only allowed if you have made a certain number of posts? Anybody know?

eg see:

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1325264&highlight=avatars+number+of+posts#post1325264
Hi wavering,

Only contributing members or staff (Mentors, Administrators, Homework Helpers and Science Advisers) can set Avatars.

wavering
Gold Member
Only contributing members or staff (Mentors, Administrators, Homework Helpers and Science Advisers) can set Avatars.
Sorry, I do not understand! When you say "set Avatars" what does that mean? Do you mean "HAVE Avatars"? Or did you mean to say "have ANIMATED avatars"?

Can you clarify?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It means only those members stated can have avatars. You, wavering not being one of the members stated can not have an avatar whether it be animated or not.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
And to find out how to become a member, click the "Upgrade" link at the top left of this page. It's $15.00 for 1 year.

I tried converting my .gif to a .jpg, but I ended up with a series of images rather than a single animated one.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Its still odd how it doesn't work when its resized like redbelly and I have managed to do.

I tried converting my .gif to a .jpg, but I ended up with a series of images rather than a single animated one.
yeah, the jpg standard doesn't support animation AFAIK. what i referred to above is not converting the file, just changing the extension(renaming it). my browser seems to recognize and play gifs even when they are mis-named.

yeah, the jpg standard doesn't support animation AFAIK. what i referred to above is not converting the file, just changing the extension(renaming it). my browser seems to recognize and play gifs even when they are mis-named.
That didn't work either.