How to Upload Animated Avatars - Jeans

• Thread starter Math Jeans
  • Start date
In summary, Jeans believes that the "cannot upload animated images" error is deliberate and was not an accidental limitation. FredGarvin believes that the same error may be accidental, but the lack of blog entries suggests otherwise.
Redbelly98 said:
I just tried resizing an animated gif in Paint. Then when I saved the file, it was no longer animated. It was just a gif of the 1st frame in the animation.

Are you sure the file is still animated after you save it from Paint? The file currently linked to in post #15 is not.

Yeah, sorry about that. I kinda messed around with the photo a bit on photobucket.

Physics news on Phys.org
i've noticed that my browser will play animated gifs just fine, even when the file extension has been renamed to jpg. maybe try lying. rename your gif to jpg and see if it works.

In another thread I heard about this website:
http://www.smileygenerator.us/tools/animation_tools/gifresize/index.php
which will resize gif files, even animated ones. That should help with resizing the "give a damn" image and keeping the animation.

As for the problem of some users unable to upload animations, that's another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like animation avatar, and I like to have a signatuer :sad:
Why the forums don't let users freely edit it ?

...I am thinking...Hmmmm Is it because science forums have many members or visitors who are not actually good at web/internet ? :smile:

You can have an avatar and a signature if you become a Contributor. Click on "Upgrade", at the top left of this web page, for more details. The cost is 15 $US.

wavering said:
I too am getting the message that I cannot have an animated avator. The engine (vBulletin) that powers this forum is used elsewhere and I seem to remember having the same problem on another forum (Xtreme VB)

I think maybe there is a restriction that animated avators are only allowed if you have made a certain number of posts? Anybody know?

eg see:

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1325264&highlight=avatars+number+of+posts#post1325264
Hi wavering,

Only contributing members or staff (Mentors, Administrators, Homework Helpers and Science Advisers) can set Avatars.

Hootenanny said:
Only contributing members or staff (Mentors, Administrators, Homework Helpers and Science Advisers) can set Avatars.

Sorry, I do not understand! When you say "set Avatars" what does that mean? Do you mean "HAVE Avatars"? Or did you mean to say "have ANIMATED avatars"?

Can you clarify?

It means only those members stated can have avatars. You, wavering not being one of the members stated can not have an avatar whether it be animated or not.

And to find out how to become a member, click the "Upgrade" link at the top left of this page. It's $15.00 for 1 year.

I tried converting my .gif to a .jpg, but I ended up with a series of images rather than a single animated one.

Its still odd how it doesn't work when its resized like redbelly and I have managed to do.

Math Jeans said:
I tried converting my .gif to a .jpg, but I ended up with a series of images rather than a single animated one.

yeah, the jpg standard doesn't support animation AFAIK. what i referred to above is not converting the file, just changing the extension(renaming it). my browser seems to recognize and play gifs even when they are mis-named.

Proton Soup said:
yeah, the jpg standard doesn't support animation AFAIK. what i referred to above is not converting the file, just changing the extension(renaming it). my browser seems to recognize and play gifs even when they are mis-named.

That didn't work either.