Animatronic Eye Mechanism -- Help please

Thank you!In summary, the conversation was about someone searching for a specific part for an eye mechanism and asking for help identifying it. They mentioned having video footage of the part in motion and being steered wrong by companies dealing in such parts. Another person in the conversation suggested it may be a universal joint and provided a link for reference. The person looking for the part confirmed that it was indeed a universal joint and thanked the other person for their help.
Wyatt_Rocks
Hello All. I'm searching for this part and also have video footage of it in motion. I cannot find it to finish the eye mechanism because I don't know what it's called. Can anyone tell me what it is? I would greatly appreciate it. Even companies dealing in such parts as well as metal fittings have steered me wrong. Thanks in advance.
Animatronic%20eye%20sample.jpg

video link: start at 35 second mark.

Likes 256bits
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think it is some kind of ball-socket coupling, or universal joint coupling.

What are you calling it?

Nice video by the way.

Likes Wyatt_Rocks
256bits said:
I would think it is some kind of ball-socket coupling, or universal joint coupling.

What are you calling it?

Nice video by the way.
Thank you! That's it!

1. How does an animatronic eye mechanism work?

An animatronic eye mechanism typically consists of multiple parts, including a motor, gears, and a control system. The motor controls the movement of the eye, while the gears help to adjust the direction and speed of the movement. The control system is responsible for sending signals to the motor and gears, allowing the eye to move in a realistic manner.

2. What materials are commonly used to build an animatronic eye mechanism?

The most commonly used materials for building an animatronic eye mechanism are plastic, metal, and rubber. Plastic is often used for the outer casing of the mechanism, while metal is used for the internal components such as the motor and gears. Rubber is used for the eye itself to make it more lifelike and flexible.

3. Can an animatronic eye mechanism be controlled remotely?

Yes, an animatronic eye mechanism can be controlled remotely through the use of a control panel or computer software. This allows for more precise movements and can also be programmed for specific sequences.

4. How is the movement of an animatronic eye synchronized with other parts of an animatronic figure?

The synchronization of an animatronic eye with other parts of an animatronic figure is typically achieved through the use of a central control system. This system sends signals to each individual mechanism, including the eye, to ensure that all movements are coordinated and realistic.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with animatronic eye mechanisms?

Yes, it is important to follow safety protocols when working with animatronic eye mechanisms, as they involve the use of electrical components and moving parts. Proper training and protective gear should be used to prevent any accidents or injuries. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the mechanism to ensure safe operation.