Anime Discussion Thread - Any Anime Fans Out There?

In summary: Death Note is a high school students comes across a notebook that allows him to kill anyone in the world remotely, as long as he knows their face and name. He immediately proclaims himself protector and God of a new world, and uses the notebook to rid society of its violent and criminal elements, before devolving into purging anyone he views and undesirable. Most of the series in devoted to extremely elaborate scheming and counter-scheming between him and the detective hired to track him down. Is it an extension of Dragonball AF? Quite frankly, I can't stand fanmade versions of animes. :yuck:
jobsism
Any anime fans out here? I was thinking of starting this thread to discuss some of the popular animes like Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, One Piece, Inuyasha, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course! :biggrin:

I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z and Naruto. Watching Bleach currently, but it isn't as fun as Dragonball.

My true favorite though, is Pokemon :!) How hath thou not included it in thy list!?

Infinitum said:
Of course! :biggrin:

I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z and Naruto. Watching Bleach currently, but it isn't as fun as Dragonball.

My true favorite though, is Pokemon :!) How hath thou not included it in thy list!?

Kamehameha! :biggrin: Of course, Pokemon is an old favourite of mine too! Just missed it out in favour of new favourites :tongue: I don't like the new Pokemon variants though; they seem plain childish.

OMG, have you read (manga) the latest proceedings in Naruto? It's quite the eye-opener! :bugeye:

jobsism said:
Kamehameha! :biggrin: Of course, Pokemon is an old favourite of mine too! Just missed it out in favour of new favourites :tongue: I don't like the new Pokemon variants though; they seem plain childish.

True...The last bit I enjoyed was Pokemon Emerald(Hoenn). It gets boring from Sinnoh...

OMG, have you read (manga) the latest proceedings in Naruto? It's quite the eye-opener! :bugeye:

Umm, I don't think I have :uhh: Been busy with Bleach and DBZ Abridged by Team four star. :tongue:

In lieu of some of the more popular series, I've compiled a list of some of my favourites (in no particular order)...

Monster
Concerns a Japanese neurosurgeon practicing in Germany who experiences a crisis of conscience over his hospital's politicized treatment policies, and elects to operate on an orphaned child (Johan Liebert) rather than the mayor when both arrive at the same time. Years later, he learns that the child he saved has grown up to be a serial killer, and so he leaves his job to track him down, feeling personally responsible. Note that this is a very slow series, and most episodes consist of little more than long and drawn out conversations; the series is largely a meditation on the nature of altruism and the attempts of the main characters to comprehend the existence of someone like Johan Liebert, who seems to have no reason for doing what he does.

Serial Experiments Lain
Extremely dense and borderline incomprehensible exploration of various concept in philosophy of mind and metaphysics. Everyone should see it once.

Cowboy Bebop
One of the classics; a western set in space. Concerns a group of bounty hunters who do violence set to jazz music. Absolutely wonderful.

Paranoia Agent
Concerns a series of incidents in which seemingly unrelated and innocent people have reported being attacked by a small child wielding a baseball bat. The series gradually turns into a rather philosophical commentary on a number of characteristics of Japanese society.

20th Century Boys (manga)
A manga series by the creator of Monster (above), and generally considered not only his best work, but one of the greatest of all mangas. A group of children play a game in which they pretend that they are heroes fighting a villain who seeks to destroy the world. Twenty or so years later, a series of terrorist attacks occur that mirror precisely the story they created as children, and the friends gather together to try to understand why their childhood fantasies are becoming a reality. Gradually turns into a magnificent work of dystopian fiction. I can't possibly recommend this enough.

Grave of the Fireflies
The most devastating war film ever created. A small boy attempts and fails to care for his little sister after the two are orphaned in world war II.

Narutaru
This may be interesting for anyone who was a fan of Pokemon or Digimon. It essentially asks the question: What would happen if children really were given powerful monsters as pets? The answer, of course, is horrifying. What do you expect to happen when a girl who is bullied all her life is suddenly given a weapon to use against her fellow students? (Note: not for children)

---------------Other Popular Series----------------

Death Note
A high school students comes across a notebook that allows him to kill anyone in the world remotely, as long as he knows their face and name. He immediately proclaims himself protector and God of a new world, and uses the notebook to rid society of its violent and criminal elements, before devolving into purging anyone he views and undesirable. Most of the series in devoted to extremely elaborate scheming and counter-scheming between him and the detective hired to track him down.

Last edited:
Is it an extension of Dragonball AF? Quite frankly, I can't stand fanmade versions of animes. :yuck:

Oh wait, that was dumb of me; the name itself tells its an abridged version of the original series. :redface:

Last edited:
Number Nine said:
I lieu of some of the more popular series, I've compiled a list of some of my favourites (in no particular order)...

Monster
Concerns a Japanese neurosurgeon practicing in Germany who experiences a crisis of conscience over his hospital's politicized treatment policies, and elects to operate on an orphaned child (Johan Liebert) rather than the mayor when both arrive at the same time. Years later, he learns that the child he saved has grown up to be a serial killer, and so he leaves his job to track him down, feeling personally responsible. Note that this is a very slow series, and most episodes consist of little more than long and drawn out conversations; the series is largely a meditation on the nature of altruism and the attempts of the main characters to comprehend the existence of someone like Johan Liebert, who seems to have no reason for doing what he does.

Serial Experiments Lain
Extremely dense and borderline incomprehensible exploration of various concept in philosophy of mind and metaphysics. Everyone should see it once.

Cowboy Bebop
One of the classics; a western set in space. Concerns a group of bounty hunters who do violence set to jazz music. Absolutely wonderful.

Paranoia Agent
Concerns a series of incidents in which seemingly unrelated and innocent people have reported being attacked by a small child wielding a baseball bat. The series gradually turns into a rather philosophical commentary on a number of characteristics of Japanese society.

A manga series by the creator of Monster (above), and generally considered not only his best work, but one of the greatest of all mangas. A group of children play a game in which they pretend that they are heroes fighting a villain who seeks to destroy the world. Twenty or so years later, a series of terrorist attacks occur that mirror precisely the story they created as children, and the friends gather together to try to understand why their childhood fantasies are becoming a reality. Gradually turns into a magnificent work of dystopian fiction. I can't possibly recommend this enough.

Grave of the Fireflies
The most devastating war film ever created. A small boy attempts and fails to care for his little sister after the two are orphaned in world war II.

Narutaru
This may be interesting for anyone who was a fan of Pokemon or Digimon. It essentially asks the question: What would happen if children really were given powerful monsters as pets? The answer, of course, is horrifying. What do you expect to happen when a girl who is bullied all her life is suddenly given a weapon to use against her fellow students? (Note: not for children)

Monster and Cowboy Bebop are classics! Totally loved those animes! :!) Haven't seen the other ones, though I heard Paranoia Agent is good. But how in the world could you have missed Death Note?! :eek:

jobsism said:
Monster and Cowboy Bebop are classics! Totally loved those animes! :!) Haven't seen the other ones, though I heard Paranoia Agent is good. But how in the world could you have missed Death Note?! :eek:

I loved Death Note, of course, but I assumed that anyone visiting the thread would already have seen it. I'll add it to the list.

Number Nine said:
I loved Death Note, of course, but I assumed that anyone visiting the thread would already have seen it. I'll add it to the list.

Good point. Death Note is often the starting point for most anime fans. I even converted two anime-haters through it! :smile:

Hey Infinitum, you've got to watch Death Note (if you haven't already). Probably one of the best psychological thrillers ever made. Trust me, you'll praise me for it.:biggrin:

Number Nine said:
Cowboy Bebop

Yep, nice one. (or the only one among that list I have seen :tongue:)

jobsism said:
Hey Infinitum, you've got to watch Death Note (if you haven't already). Probably one of the best psychological thrillers ever made. Trust me, you'll praise me for it.:biggrin:

Aye, I'll give it a try. Wonder how I missed it...

And since I'm optimistic, I'll save myself a future post : You're awesome for suggesting me Death Note! :wink:

Number Nine said:
In lieu of some of the more popular series, I've compiled a list of some of my favourites (in no particular order)...

Monster

Serial Experiments Lain

Cowboy Bebop

Paranoia Agent

Grave of the Fireflies

Narutaru

---------------Other Popular Series----------------

Death Note
A high school students comes across a notebook that allows him to kill anyone in the world remotely, as long as he knows their face and name. He immediately proclaims himself protector and God of a new world, and uses the notebook to rid society of its violent and criminal elements, before devolving into purging anyone he views and undesirable. Most of the series in devoted to extremely elaborate scheming and counter-scheming between him and the detective hired to track him down.

I love anime and manga and these are the ones I have finished/currently working on.
Anime
Naruto: Obviously one of the most popular Anime/Manga. The first episode I watched was when Zabuza and Haku died. That arc remains the best arc for till date.
Bleach: I loved Rescue Rukia Arc in this series, when all Ichigo fought all the captains and just kicked some pure *** and wrecked havoc in soul society.
Samurai Champloo: This series is one of lesser known series but is an absolute delight. It's about an epic adventure of a 15 year old Fuu with 2 swordsman named Jin and Mugen during the edo period. There are only 24 or so episodes and each episode is fresh and exciting. The story is gripping and the action is the humor is amazing as well. Ohh yeah, and the music is just awesome.
Avatar: Not your traditional anime but I think it can be added to this list. This show is about a fascist country on the brink of victory in a war that would give them total domination over the world. Only hope now is the Avatar who mysteriously disappeared 100 years ago when the war had just started. This show is has amazing action, incredible humor and awe-inspiring characters. Very complex issues regarding ethics, morals, and choices that we make are dealt with throughout the series. Please watch this series.
The Legend of Korra (Ongoing): This is the sequel to the aforementioned series Avatar. This story portrays the adventures of next Avatar in line named Korra. So far this show has been good but my only gripe with it is that it's missing the incredible humor that was present in its predecessor.
Monster (Ongoing): I'm currently half way through this series. Although the plot develops slowly and carefully, each episode brings something fresh. It's feels like a big jig-saw puzzle being completed piece by piece. This is a definite watch who enjoy good, intellectual stories.
Code Geass: A show reminiscent of Gundum Seed series but way more clever. The story deals with sudden rise of power of a young teenage who challenges the ruling government of the world after being given the power of "Geass" by an angel. The strategies, the action, and the storylines of each character are rich and run deep. Definite watch.
Death Note: I have seen this series in its entirety three times and now and have never been bored. The battle between Light and L is pure joy. Expect many intellectual orgasms while viewing this as our protagonists play the classic Cat and Mouse chase, except for they are highly intelligent and daring with their traps and counter traps for one another.

Manga

One Piece (Ongoing): My absolute favorite. It's got pirates. It's funny and inspiring at the same time.
Sanctuary: My other favorite manga. This story is about two friends who are determined to create a better country through hardwork and courage. Their friendship is uncompromising in any given situation. I like this story because it reminds me of the friendship I have with my friend and our aspirations to create a better society. I draw a lot of inspiration from this story.
Liar Game(Ongoing): This series will be a delight for all the Game Theorists here! The protagonist is stuck in the web of a scam company who makes people play games with one another in hopes of taking money from one another. An honest girl must get help from a Con Artist named Akiyama Shiinchi to get away from this vicious web.
Gamble Fish (Ongoing): About a boy who has compulsive gambling disorder :D. He takes any challenge at any cost. This series is pure awesomeness :P
Prince of Tennis: Pretty fun. Story about middle school tennis players from Japan with supernatural like ability with tennis rackets :P. What else did you expect? :P
20th Century Boys: Number Nine nailed it with his/her description.

Well I'll check out the series that Number Nine suggested. Ohh I watched Grave of the Fireflies three times now, and it makes me cry every time. :'(

Berserk is, by far, my favorite anime. My other favorites are FLCL, cowboy bebop, When Cicadas Cry (although a little overboard with the anime emote things), and Helsing. There's a lot of other good ones I could list. Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, and DBZ are all great ones that they've shown on Cartoon Network.

Some good movies are Princess Mononoke and Origin: spirits of the past.

Last edited:
I guess most people in here would like the seinen + science fiction combo genre.

@Number Nine: If you liked Narutaru, you'd probably like Bokurano too. It's from the same author, with the same depressing theme.

I think this is the first anime/manga discussion thread ever made here. It's quite surprising.

Saw the first few(three) Death Note episodes, like 'em so far! :approve:

Looks like there is a movie on it too...

And somehow, I got reminded of another fun anime I used to watch, Yu-Gi-Oh. Good ol' days.

mathsciguy said:
I think this is the first anime/manga discussion thread ever made here. It's quite surprising.

Hehe...I'm quite honoured :biggrin:

Infinitum said:
Saw the first few(three) Death Note episodes, like 'em so far! :approve:

Looks like there is a movie on it too...

And somehow, I got reminded of another fun anime I used to watch, Yu-Gi-Oh. Good ol' days.

Told you so! :biggrin:

Yep, there's a Japanese live-action of Death Note. But it sucks compared to the anime. Kira looks dorky.

Pokemon used to be my favourite but i lost interest in it because of the way it was broadcasted in my country. I know that new episodes for Pokemon are introduced but seriously, the way it is presented in my country is really bogus. Then came the Beyblade, the first series was really excellent but it was ruined in the subsequent series. Same with Digimon, the first series broadcasted was really good.
Started watching Dragon Ball Z, and it was one of my favourite. But again (duh), the old episodes started repeating, i don't know why the hell Cartoon network stopped broadcasting new episodes.
Naruto entered the scene and it was way better than any anime broadcasted during that time, but seriously, they stopped broadcasting the new episodes for Naruto too. Now i take out some time to watch the Naruto episodes online.
Most of the nice anime series died in my country maybe due to the lack of sponsors for dubbing the episodes. (I don't really know if the sponsors are involved here but really everything needs money to proceed on.)

jobsism said:
I don't like the new Pokemon variants though; they seem plain childish.
+1

Though I'm quite tempted to add my own list of anime favourites, I doubt if I'll be able to do justice to their descriptions (besides, I'm lazy :tongue: )

So instead, I decided to compile a list of my favourite anime soundtracks, OPs and ENs and their youtube URLs: -

The following are from the anime Death Note, one of the few animes that has perfect music to go with the plot.

L's Themes A and B (Death Note) -

These are two of the best anime soundtracks you'll possibly ever hear. Highly compelling, and one actually feels goosebumps listening this along with the video counterparts. I listen to this often; makes me feel smart, hehe!

The World (Death Note - OP 1) -

No words to say; the crux of the anime is depicted in this very opening. Gives you a god-like feeling watching this.

Alumina (Death Note - EN 1) -

I liked this ending very much: shows you who Kira (a main character) really is.

These are the music I liked best in Death Note. Will add other animes' soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
jobsism said:
Hehe...I'm quite honoured :biggrin:

Well, it is surprising, considering how much 'geeks' are here, there would probably people who are into cartoons (regardless of it being, western or japanese).

And yeah, Death Note was pretty cool back then, I thought it was some obscure manga when it was still ongoing, and since it's got a pretty non-mainstream theme. I was surprised it got turned into an anime immediately and was really popular.

Pranav-Arora said:
Pokemon used to be my favourite but i lost interest in it because of the way it was broadcasted in my country. I know that new episodes for Pokemon are introduced but seriously, the way it is presented in my country is really bogus. Then came the Beyblade, the first series was really excellent but it was ruined in the subsequent series. Same with Digimon, the first series broadcasted was really good.
Started watching Dragon Ball Z, and it was one of my favourite. But again (duh), the old episodes started repeating, i don't know why the hell Cartoon network stopped broadcasting new episodes.
Naruto entered the scene and it was way better than any anime broadcasted during that time, but seriously, they stopped broadcasting the new episodes for Naruto too. Now i take out some time to watch the Naruto episodes online.
Most of the nice anime series died in my country maybe due to the lack of sponsors for dubbing the episodes. (I don't really know if the sponsors are involved here but really everything needs money to proceed on.)

I stopped watching Cartoon Network since they stopped Naruto midway, without so much of a warning.

Since then, I've been downloading/watching online. If you're into dubbed versions, you can find HD quality popular animes here: - www.english-dub.kametsu.com. You need an IRC client first though.

Also, you might be interested in knowing DBZ is now being completely remade with modern graphics. It's named DBZ Kai. Check that out too!

mathsciguy said:
Well, it is surprising, considering how much 'geeks' are here, there would probably people who are into cartoons (regardless of it being, western or japanese).

Yeah, tell me about it; I was half-expecting this thread to be inactive in a day too! Turns out geeks acknowledge animes, huh? :D

jobsism said:
I stopped watching Cartoon Network since they stopped Naruto midway, without so much of a warning.

Since then, I've been downloading/watching online. If you're into dubbed versions, you can find HD quality popular animes here: - www.english-dub.kametsu.com . You need an IRC client first though.

I've never watched anime on television... Their timings don't suit me :tongue2:

Internet, always.

/geek

Also, you might be interested in knowing DBZ is now being completely remade with modern graphics. It's named DBZ Kai. Check that out too!

I don't like the new dubs in DBZ Kai, the old one always wins over my heart :biggrin: Its a matter of opinion, I guess.

jobsism said:

Since then, I've been downloading/watching online. If you're into dubbed versions, you can find HD quality popular animes here: - www.english-dub.kametsu.com . You need an IRC client first though.

Naruto used to be broadcasted in our country in an Indian language, Hindi.
Since its not broadcasted now, i just download the episodes online. I understand English well and English dubbed episodes are easily available online.

I will surely check out DBZ.

Anybody here knows about Cardcaptor Sakura? I used to watch it when i was a kid.

Infinitum said:
Watching Bleach currently, but it isn't as fun as Dragonball.

I don't mean to sound elitist but perhaps when you watch better things, your expectations will change accordingly. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both of those when I was younger but they're rather generic/monotonous. Bleach actually had a very good start but it all went downhill after some 30-ish episodes. (been a few years, so perhaps I may have liked some more episodes but I can't remember them - actually, the Arrancar arc was fun)

If you like those two, you will probably like InuYasha. But again, it gets old (no pun intended). Very, very quickly.

Number Nine said:
Monster

Serial Experiments Lain

Cowboy Bebop

I will definitely watch Monster! Looks like my kind of stuff.

I've been urged by an acquaintance (we just talked over Facebook some months back because we liked Transmetropolitan and some similar music) to watch the other two. SEL looks awesome.

Have you seen Elfen Lied and Black Lagoon? I watched those some four years ago and perhaps now my idea of "good" has changed but they were definitely enjoyable.

SolsticeFire said:
The Legend of Korra (Ongoing): This is the sequel to the aforementioned series Avatar. This story portrays the adventures of next Avatar in line named Korra. So far this show has been good but my only gripe with it is that it's missing the incredible humor that was present in its predecessor.

Well I'll check out the series that Number Nine suggested. Ohh I watched Grave of the Fireflies three times now, and it makes me cry every time. :'(

My main gripe with Korra is that it seems poorly planned. They took a break for a few weeks and while I haven't read any "news" (interviews and such) about it, I get the impression that they weren't able to properly gauge whether those 12 episodes would have been enough. Now, everything just looks very rushed. I'm looking forward to the season finale (one hour special!) in a few hours, nevertheless. Also, the "style" itself (by that I mean, all the new mannerisms/facial expressions and the tone in general) seems to have changed very quickly to what it was in the first few episodes!

DragonPetter said:
My other favorites are FLCL, cowboy bebop, When Cicadas Cry (although a little overboard with the anime emote things), and Helsing.

I last watched FLCL when I was eleven! ('04?) I should give it another shot. Would be interesting to see what I think of it now.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni looked great but I dropped it after some episodes. I believe I saw the first two "sets". By "set", I mean "alternate world", if that makes sense. I actually hadn't read much about the show and it took me a while to realize what was going on!

Hellsing was fun! I will start watching "Hellsingh Ultimate" some time soon. The "abridged" series by TFS is excellent! I'm afraid it is NSFW and not appropriate for children, so I will make no further mention of it and will not link the YouTube video.

Some good movies are Princess Mononoke and Origin: spirits of the past.

Spirited Away is another nice one.

jobsism said:
Yeah, tell me about it; I was half-expecting this thread to be inactive in a day too! Turns out geeks acknowledge animes, huh? :D

Nah, Anime/Manga is pretty cool, those Japanese people are pretty creative.

Most people would see it as something childish (your mother probably does), but most of them are actually deep and there are a handful that's not even something you'd show a child.

Mépris said:
Bleach actually had a very good start but it all went downhill after some 30-ish episodes. (been a few years, so perhaps I may have liked some more episodes but I can't remember them - actually, the Arrancar arc was fun)

I am on episode 31 on bleach and you are destroying me hopes :cry:

mathsciguy said:

Absolutely agreed.

Pranav-Arora said:
Naruto used to be broadcasted in our country in an Indian language, Hindi.
Since its not broadcasted now, i just download the episodes online. I understand English well and English dubbed episodes are easily available online.

I will surely check out DBZ.

Anybody here knows about Cardcaptor Sakura? I used to watch it when i was a kid.

They used to broadcast Cardcaptor Sakura here, I used to watch when I was a kid too. One of the earlier works of CLAMP, the ones who did the character design for Code Geass if I'm not mistaken.

mathsciguy said:
One of the earlier works of CLAMP, the ones who did the character design for Code Geass if I'm not mistaken.

Kids don't know about that stuff. :tongue2:

Infinitum said:
I am on episode 31 on bleach and you are destroying me hopes :cry:

Well, if you were able to (recently) watch all of DBZ, then I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest without any worries. The arrancar arc starts at the 100-ish mark.

In any case, the early episodes were very enjoyable. I may even watch them again at some point. Shame it didn't live up to its potential though...

Pranav-Arora said:
Kids don't know about that stuff. :tongue2:

Maybe a slightly geeky kid would haha.

mathsciguy said:

Most people would see it as something childish (your mother probably does), but most of them are actually deep and there are a handful that's not even something you'd show a child.

Totally. Mom ought to see this, hehe.

Mépris said:
Well, if you were able to (recently) watch all of DBZ, then I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest without any worries. The arrancar arc starts at the 100-ish mark.

In any case, the early episodes were very enjoyable. I may even watch them again at some point. Shame it didn't live up to its potential though...

+1

Not to ruin it for you Infinitum, but the anime indeed has been going downhill since the arrancar arc. Well, now you know what to expect. :tongue2:

jobsism said:
+1

Not to ruin it for you Infinitum, but the anime indeed has been going downhill since the arrancar arc. Well, now you know what to expect. :tongue2:

You just killed all the surprise for Infinitum. :P

I stopped watching Bleach too about the Arrancar arc. The soul society arc seems to be the best part, and after that you're back with the usual mainstream shonen anime with the Dragonball Z formula. It's the same with Naruto, though for some reason I just kept reading the manga every week, it's probably become a habit.

Again, I'm surprised, nobody's mentioned Neon Genesis Evangelion yet.

jobsism said:
+1

Oh-kay...I'll enjoy it till I can o:)

And yet again, I am reminded of another fun anime(my memory seems to work in installments)...Has anyone watched/read Meitantei Conan - Case Closed? (aka Detective Conan)