1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anisotropic dielectric medium

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1
    we have a non magnetic but anisotropic dielectric medium which has the following relationships between D and E

Dx = k1*Ex, Dy = k2*Ey, Dz = k3*Ez

we have to show that waves propogate in the z-dir'n at one speed only.

I can't get the wave eq'n to fall out. Usually you just use Maxwell's equations and the vector identity
    curl(curl(E)) = grad(divE)- grad squared E
    and set divE = 0. You can usually say this because in a dielectric there is no free charge therefore divD = 0 and in an LIH medium E is proportional to D therefore divE = 0 . Instead now I have to include the grad(divE) expression and the algebra doesn't even resemble the wave eq'n. I'd appreciate any hints on where I've gone wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you'll have to see what impact does

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{c} D_{x}\\D_{y}\\D_{z}\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{ccc} k_{1} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & k_{2} & 0\\ 0 & 0 & k_{3} \end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c} E_{x}\\E_{y}\\E_{z}\end{array}\right) [/tex]

have upon the wave equations. I assume the Permittivity matrix has constant elements, if not, you'd have to be more careful with the calculus.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  4. Apr 8, 2006 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If k1=k2=k, then there is a relatively simple solution.
    curl(curl B)=-del^2 B=d_t curl{[k]E}. (d_t is the partial wrt t, etc.)
    For the z component in Cartesian coords:
    curl{[k]E}_z=d_x(k2 E_y)-d_y(k1 E_x)=k (curl E)_x, if k1=k2=k.
    Then, -del^2 B_z=-k(d_t)^2 B_z, and B_z has a wave solution with
    velocity=1/\sqrt{k} (All with c=1)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?