1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anit-matter Pro-annihilation

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    We know an electron colliding into a positron annihilate one another and 2 recoiling gamma rays are produced moving in opposite directions...
    Is the process of pair-production, where an electron and positron are created, due to 2 colliding gamma rays annihilating eachother? Furthermore, can a single gamma ray, of sufficient energy, spontaneously annihilate itself to create the same electron and positron pair? Thirdly, is there any basis in experiment or theory that allows for a single gamma ray to interact with the quantum field in a manner than could create an electron/ poistron pair? And finally, is there a version of string theory that would allow for a single gamma ray to interact with tiny dimesions whereupon an electron/ positron pair could be created?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2
    Nope, it's due to a single > 1022 keV gamma ray photon decaying.

Yup, see above. :smile:

Yup, QED explains it theoretically and we have particle accelerators to show it in action. See this image for example.

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. It is difficult to collide two gammas. It does occur vitually, but at such a high energy that just a single e-p (I'll use p for positron.)
    pair is rare.
    2. A single gamma cannot-->e-p. It is forbidden by E and p conservation.
    Pair production usually occurs in the electric field of a nearby nucleus.
    3. No, as in 2.
    4. String theory also conserves E and p, if little else.

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Pair production occurs with the interaction of a gamma-ray of at least 1.022 MeV (1022 keV), which is the threshold based on the rest masses of electron/positron, with the nucleus of an atom, or perhaps a heavy particle. Otherwise, photons scatter off electrons - Compton effect - or are absorbed - photoelectric effect.

6. Sep 5, 2006 #5

7. Sep 5, 2006 #6

First off, very nice post. It was well-formatted, concise and insightful, so thank you. Secondly, your link to the bubble chamber picture puzzles me as an explanation for single gamma -->e-p. I'm far from an expert, but I can see the e-p diverge in opposite directions from a single S->North line, BUT this line continues even after the e-p pair is created. So IF this line is the gamma (which I believe it is?) how can it continue beyond the e-p divergence? Is the S->North line consisting of many gammas?

Thanks.

8. Sep 5, 2006 #7

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  9. Sep 6, 2006 #8

10. Sep 6, 2006 #9
    Yes, something like that. I meant that you don't actually need two photons to have an e-p pair produced; a single gamma photon can "kick off" from an atomic nucleus, for example, to produce a electron-positron pair.

I bet it is a neutron, because it sure doesn't seem to have a charge (it doesn't steer to any specific direction in the magnetic field of the bubble chamber). So I think the image is actually showing a single gamma photon "kicking off" from a neutron to produce the e-p pair. Maybe, maybe not. It could be a high-energy atomic nucleus also.

11. Sep 6, 2006 #10
    Just a comment on CarlB's proof. There is a much easier and more general way to prove that a photon cannot decay into electron anti electron pair.

Let P be the fourmomentum of the photon. let P1 and P2 be the 4momenta of the resulting electron and anti electron respectively. the photon deacying is the statement:

P = P1 + P2 => P^2 = 0 = m^2 + m^2 + 2P1*P2

now go to the rest frame of the electron, P1 = (m,0,0,0)

and you get the contradiction that 0 > 2m^2 >0.

thus a photon (or any other massless particle) can never split into two massive particles, atleast in the absence of external fields.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  12. Sep 9, 2006 #11
    What is the heaviest known pair of particles produced from gamma annihilation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?