Is 'Annals of The Former World' a Good Introduction to Geology?

• Thread starter luckycharms
  • Start date
In summary, "Annals of The Former World" is a book written by John McPhee, a geology professor at Princeton University. It is a collection of five books that were originally published separately, but were later combined into one volume. The book explores the geological history of North America, from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific coast. John McPhee is an American writer, geology professor, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author, known for his extensive work on a variety of topics including geology, nature, and the environment. "Annals of The Former World" covers a wide range of topics related to geology, including plate tectonics, mountain formation, and the history of the earth's surface. It is considered
luckycharms
Anyone read this book by John McPhee? I'm almost finished and it has been one of the most delightful reads I've come across in a long time. It's a really wonderful way to introduce yourself to the topic of geology.

I understand it's a broad overview of intro geology and perhaps out-of-date/wrong/over-simplified in some specifics, but do any geologists have an opinion on this book?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I haven't read it, but on Amazon.com people liked it, they said the same thing as you said.

I have not personally read Annals of The Former World, but I have heard great things about it from colleagues and friends who are geologists. The book is highly praised for its engaging writing style and ability to make complex geological concepts accessible to a general audience. While it may not be the most up-to-date or in-depth resource for geology, it is still a valuable and enjoyable read for anyone interested in the subject. As with any book, it's important to keep in mind that it may have some outdated information, but overall it seems to be a well-regarded and highly recommended read for those looking to learn more about geology.

What is "Annals of The Former World"?

"Annals of The Former World" is a book written by John McPhee, a geology professor at Princeton University. It is a collection of five books that were originally published separately, but were later combined into one volume. The book explores the geological history of North America, from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific coast.

Who is John McPhee?

John McPhee is an American writer, geology professor, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author. He has been a staff writer for The New Yorker magazine since 1965 and has written over 30 books on a variety of topics, including geology, nature, and the environment.

What topics are covered in "Annals of The Former World"?

"Annals of The Former World" covers a wide range of topics related to geology, including plate tectonics, mountain formation, and the history of the earth's surface. It also delves into the history of geological research and the personalities of prominent geologists.

Why is "Annals of The Former World" considered a groundbreaking work?

"Annals of The Former World" is considered a groundbreaking work because it presents complex geological concepts in a way that is accessible to the general public. It also seamlessly weaves together scientific information with personal anecdotes, making it an engaging and thought-provoking read.

What makes "Annals of The Former World" relevant today?

"Annals of The Former World" is relevant today because it provides a thorough understanding of the geological processes that have shaped our planet. It also highlights the importance of studying and understanding our natural world in the face of environmental challenges and climate change.