Can slow cooling achieve fully annealed grade 2 Ti foils?

• Thread starter spiri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    metallurgy
In summary, the speaker is having difficulty with stamping and annealing grade 2 Ti foils. The ductility decreases significantly after vacuum annealing at 10-6, 700 deg C for 2 hrs. They are looking for a fully annealed part after stamping and are seeking advice on how to achieve this. The listener suggests that the issue may be related to stress and recommends a two-step annealing process with cooling in between. They also mention the importance of allowing the material to cool down slowly.
spiri
Hello, I'm having a hard time stamping and annealing grade 2 Ti foils (0.0125mm thickness). The ductility appears to decrease significantly after I vacuum anneal the Ti foil after stamping. I'm running them at a vacuum of 10-6, 700 deg C for 2 hrs and I seem to be making them worse than if I don't anneal them at all. I'm looking for a fully annealed part after stamping. Any ideas on how I can achieve this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are annealing, but not stress relieving. Any heating up can add stress to the material. 700C @ 2 hr, is correct for annealing, then cool, then heat to 550-575C (1000-1100F) for 15-30min, then re-cool. This will help relieve stress, you have to do similar processes in steel. Feel free to double check my math, our ovens are in F.

Are you allowing it to cool down slowly?

1. What is the purpose of annealing grade 2 Ti foils?

The purpose of annealing grade 2 Ti foils is to improve their mechanical properties, such as ductility and strength, by heat treating them at a specific temperature for a certain amount of time. This process also helps to relieve any internal stresses that may have been caused during manufacturing or previous use.

2. What temperature is typically used for annealing grade 2 Ti foils?

The temperature used for annealing grade 2 Ti foils can vary, but it is typically between 700-900°C (1292-1652°F). The exact temperature and duration of annealing will depend on the specific properties and requirements of the foils.

3. How does annealing affect the microstructure of grade 2 Ti foils?

Annealing causes the microstructure of grade 2 Ti foils to change, resulting in larger and more uniform grains. This can improve the overall strength and ductility of the foils, as well as reduce the risk of cracking or failure.

4. Is annealing necessary for all grade 2 Ti foils?

No, annealing is not necessary for all grade 2 Ti foils. It is typically only required for foils that have been heavily cold worked or have undergone significant stress during manufacturing. Foils that are already in the annealed condition may not require further heat treatment.

5. Can annealing be performed multiple times on grade 2 Ti foils?

Yes, annealing can be performed multiple times on grade 2 Ti foils. However, each cycle of annealing may result in slightly different properties and should be carefully controlled to achieve the desired results. Over-annealing can also cause the foils to become brittle, so it is important to follow proper procedures and temperature ranges.