Annihilation Operators: Prove af(a^\dagger)|n>=df(a^\dagger)/da|0>

In summary: Then you can use the commutation relation [x,p]=... to show that \Delta x |\alpha>=c\Delta p |\alpha>
Shadowz
So we all know about [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]a^\dagger[/tex].

My problem says that if [tex]f(a^\dagger)[/tex] is an arbitrary polynomial in [tex]a^\dagger[/tex] then [tex]af(a^\dagger)|n> = \frac{df(a^\dagger)}{da}|0>[/tex] where |0> is the ground state energy. How can I go about proving this?

A hint would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Shadowz said:
So we all know about [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]a^\dagger[/tex].

My problem says that if [tex]f(a^\dagger)[/tex] is an arbitrary polynomial in [tex]a^\dagger[/tex] then [tex]af(a^\dagger)|n> = \frac{df(a^\dagger)}{da}|0>[/tex] where |0> is the ground state energy. How can I go about proving this?

A hint would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Since [tex]f(a^\dagger) [/tex] is a polynomial.
It suffices to show that
[tex] a (a^\dagger)^n |0\rangle = n(a^\dagger)^{n-1} [/tex]
where [tex]n = 0,1,2,\cdots[/tex]

And you know the commutator of [tex] [a,a^\dagger] = ...[/tex]

ismaili said:
Since [tex]f(a^\dagger) [/tex] is a polynomial.
It suffices to show that
[tex] a (a^\dagger)^n |0\rangle = n(a^\dagger)^{n-1} [/tex]
where [tex]n = 0,1,2,\cdots[/tex]

And you know the commutator of [tex] [a,a^\dagger] = ...[/tex]

Maybe I don't quite get it but you said we can assume [tex]f(a^\dagger)[/tex] be [tex](a^\dagger)^n[/tex]

But then if I consider the LHS, will that operator raises |n> to |2n-1>? (each [tex]a^\dagger[/tex] would raise |n> to |n+1>) but the RHS has |0>.

Thank for your help,

Last edited:
The formula

[tex]
af(a^\dagger)|n> = \frac{df(a^\dagger)}{da}|0>
[/tex]

Is written very sloppily. It should be written as

[tex]
af(a^\dagger)|n> = f'(a^\dagger)|0>
[/tex]

Why? Because [tex]f(a^\dagger)[/tex] does not depend on [tex]a[/tex].

Thank you for pointing that out.

So is it correct to consider

[tex]a(a^{\dagger})^{n-1}(a^{\dagger})|n> = \sqrt{n}a(a^\dagger)^{n-1}|n+1>[/tex]

and then I have to find a way to do [tex]a|n+1> = \sqrt{n}|n> [/tex] in order to get to the form [tex]n(a^\dagger)^{n-1}[/tex] but the RHS has |0> so I don't know how to get it.

Thanks,

Why not start with something like [tex][A,BC]=A[B,C]+[A,B]C[/tex], thus

[tex][a,(a^\dagger)^n]=a^\dagger [a,(a^\dagger)^{n-1}]+[a,a^\dagger](a^\dagger )^{n-1}=\ldots ...[/tex]

in order to compute [tex][a,(a^\dagger)^n][/tex]

Last edited:
arkajad said:
Why not start with something like [tex][A,BC]=A[B,C]+[A,B]C[/tex], thus

[tex][a,(a^\dagger)^n]=a^\dagger [a,(a^\dagger)^{n-1}]+[a,a^\dagger](a^\dagger )^{n-1}=\ldots ...[/tex]

in order to compute [tex][a,(a^\dagger)^n][/tex]

If my algebra is correct then [tex][a,(a^\dagger)^n] = (a^\dagger)^{n-1} +(n-1)(a^\dagger)^{n-1} = n(a^\dagger)^{n-1}[/tex]Should I try to operate both sides with |0>?

So, your algebra can be generalized to

[tex][a,f(a^\dagger)]=f'(a^\dagger)[/tex]

Don't you think there is a mistake on the LHS of the equation you want to prove? Don't you think there should be |0> there rather than |n>? The RHS does not depend on n, how the LHS can?

Last edited:
Yes. So the RHS is close, but then we still have to break the commutator and somehow put in n and 0.

By the way, thank you!

and so I rearrange it to be

[tex] af(a^\dagger) = f(a^\dagger)a + f'(a^\dagger) [/tex]

but then how can we prove that [tex] (f(a^\dagger)a + f'(a^\dagger))|n> = f'(a^\dagger)|0> [/tex]?

Last edited:
I am 95% sure that the expression I try to show is correct because it also says that " |0> is the ground state energy and |n> is any harmonic oscillator state."

PS: Although I think it would make a lot of sense to have |0> on both side since [tex]f(a^\dagger)a|0> =0[/tex]

Last edited:
Just think of n=1000 and [tex]f(x)\equiv 1[/tex]

Then on LHS you will have 999th excited state a|n>, on the LHS you will have just 0 (because f'=0 in this case).

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly what my 3rd post said (or not exactly, but similar idea)

Now I think that [tex] \frac{df(a^\dagger) }{da} [/tex] can make a difference.

Isn't there a relation between n and the degree of f?

It seems to be true for any polynomial (of degree = n)
if you take |0> on each side of the equality.

naima said:
It seems to be true for any polynomial (of degree = n)
if you take |0> on each side of the equality.

You're right. I got it. Thank all of you for help!

Hi,

How can I write [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta p[/tex] as operators? I want to show that [tex]\Delta x|\alpha> = c\Delta p|\alpha>[/tex] where [tex]|\alpha>[/tex] is coherent state.

I feel like I have to write x and p in terms of annihilation operators, but I always think that [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta p[/tex] are numbers, not operators.

Thanks,

It is not clear by itself what [itex]\Delta x,\Delta p[/itex] can mean in this context. One can try to guess their meaning, but it is not evident.

So all I try to do was to show that the coherent state has minimum uncertainty equally distributed between x and p. And the hint given was to show that [tex]\Delta x |\alpha> = x\Delta p |\alpha>[/tex], and thus it makes me think that I should treat [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta p[/tex] as operators rather than numbers.

For minimum uncertainty you need to calculate [tex]\langle \alpha|(\Delta x)^2|\alpha\rangle=\langle\Delta x\alpha|\Delta x\alpha\rangle[/tex], where [itex]\Delta x=x-\langle\alpha| x|\alpha\rangle .[/itex] Now you can plug in your anihilation and creation operators. The same for [itex]\Delta p[/itex].

What are annihilation operators?

Annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the destruction or removal of a particle or quasiparticle from a quantum state. They are represented by the symbol "a" with a dagger on top, known as a dagger operator.

What is the significance of the term "a dagger" in annihilation operators?

The dagger in annihilation operators indicates the Hermitian conjugate of the operator, which is necessary for correctly describing the removal of particles in quantum mechanics.

What does "af(a^\dagger)|n>=df(a^\dagger)/da|0>" represent?

This notation represents the action of an annihilation operator, "a", on a state |n> resulting in a new state. In this case, it is also multiplied by a function "f" of the dagger operator. The right side of the equation represents the derivative of this action with respect to the dagger operator.

How is the f(a^\dagger) function related to the annihilation operator?

The function f(a^\dagger) is known as the operator-valued function, which represents a function of the annihilation operator. It is used to describe the transformation of the state after the action of the annihilation operator.

Can annihilation operators be used to create new particles?

No, annihilation operators only describe the removal of particles from a quantum state. The creation of new particles is described by creation operators, which are represented by the symbol "a" without a dagger on top.