1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annihilator of a direct sum

1. May 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose V=U⊕W. Prove that V0=U0⊕W0. (V0= annihilator of V).

2. Relevant equations
    (U+W)0=U0∩W0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I don't see how this is possible. If V0=U0⊕W0, then U0∩W0={0}, and since (U+W)0=U0∩W0, it means (U+W)0={0}, but V=U⊕W, so V0={0}. I don't think this is the desirable result so it means I misunderstood something along the way, clarification would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This part is not relevant. It is not the case that ##V=U+W##. We have ##V=U\oplus W## which has a different meaning.

To get a better handle on this, think about the following: say ##u\in U^0-\{0_U\}##. What is a corresponding element of ##V## that is in ##V^0##? Then do the same for ##w\in W^0-\{0_W\}##.

4. May 14, 2017 #3
    that is wrong.
    the correct conclusion must be ##V^*=U^0\oplus W^0##
    Indeed,
    1) it is clear that ##U^0\cap W^0=\{0\}##; it also follows from
    2) take any function ##f\in V^*## and define a linear function ##f_U## is follows ##f_U(x):=f(x)## provided ##x\in U## and ##f_U(x)=0## provided ##x\in W##;
    similarly ##f_W(x):=f(x)## provided ##x\in W## and ##f_W(x)=0## provided ##x\in U##.
    Obviously it follows that ##f=f_U+f_W,\quad f_U\in W^0,\quad f_W\in U^0##

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  5. May 15, 2017 #4
    But V=U⊕W means V=U+W and U∩W={0}, meaning the theorem still applies, doesn't it?
    Also I am not familiar with the notation 0u and 0w, so i'd appreciate an explanation about that.

6. May 15, 2017 #5
    Well this does make sense, if it is indeed a misprint in the book it would not be the first one...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted