1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annoying Calculus Problem

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F(x)=x + 1 / x

a.) sketch graph
    b.)From the Graph, it appears that f(x) becomes 1:1 when we restrict its domain to each of the four intervals (-infinity, -1], [-1,0), (0,1] and [1, infinity). For Each of these intervals, find a formula for the inverse of f(x) restricted to the interval.

2. Relevant equations

Well i sketched the graph which is 2 asymptotes in the X and Y Direction in quadrant 1 and 3... but where do i go from here? i really don't understand the question... just need some help as to where i start and where i end... thank you.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is, can you express x in terms of y by solving y = F(x), for each of the intervals?

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    Yes You can solve x in terms of y...sorry i don't know what to do next

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solve x in terms of y. I will represent the solution as x = g(y), where g(y) is for you to find. Then see over which intervals (on the x axis) g is a well-defined function. (That is, make sure that g is defined over each of the four subintervals.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?