Annoying d/dx: A Quick Guide to Derivatives

• Thread starter LyleX^Y
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to do a problem involving derivatives, but is having trouble completing it. They've tried using the product rule and the chain rule, but are still having trouble.
LyleX^Y
can you guyz help me with a quick derivative?

eeeex

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LyleX^Y, Welcome to PF!:smile:

We're here to assist you, not to do your homework for you. As per forum rules, you must show some attempt at a solution, and are not supposed to ignore the homework help template.

So, what have you tried?

awww sorry this isn't a homework actually I am just thinking of a problem my teacher would do. hehe sorry

i got

d/dx=(eeeex)*(d/dx eeex)*(d/dx eex)*(d/dx ex)

i just can't get past that point i don't know how to do the product rule with 3 values.

LyleX^Y said:
awww sorry this isn't a homework actually I am just thinking of a problem my teacher would do. hehe sorry

i got

i just can't get past that point i don't know how to do the product rule with 3 values.

Well, so far so good:smile: (although it's the chain rule you're using, not the product rule)

Now try computing each of the derivatives in that product (use the chain rule again)... what are (d/dx eeex), (d/dx eex) and (d/dx ex)?

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, so far so good:smile: (although it's the chain rule you're using, not the product rule)

Now try computing each of the derivatives in that product (use the chain rule again)... what are (d/dx eeex), (d/dx eex) and (d/dx ex)?

dont i have to use the product rule for the 3 that i haven't take the d/dx of?

"(d/dx eeex), (d/dx eex) and (d/dx ex)?[/QUOTE]"

could we differentiate it like a^x by so it owuld be lna*a^x

LyleX^Y said:
dont i have to use the product rule for the 3 that i haven't take the d/dx of?

"(d/dx eeex), (d/dx eex) and (d/dx ex)?

No, since these aren't products -- they are function compositions, so you would need to use the chain rule. Think of it this way: if f(x) = ex, then eex = f(f(x)).

Last edited:
LyleX^Y said:

i got

I forgot to put this in my previous post. It doesn't make any sense to start and equation with d/dx. It's very much like saying [itex]\sqrt[/itex] = 3. Each of these symbols represents an operation that is yet to be performed.

cragar said:
could we differentiate it like a^x by so it owuld be lna*a^x

That's the wrong way to go, since it would make the problem more difficult for no purpose. The basic function in this problem is already "the" exponential function, ex.

ok thanks... thanks for the help... got to go do my midterm hehe thanks again

What is "Annoying d/dx"?

"Annoying d/dx" is a mathematical concept that represents the derivative of a function. It is often used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

Why is it called "Annoying d/dx"?

"Annoying d/dx" can be a difficult concept for some people to understand and can require a lot of practice and calculations. This can make it annoying for some individuals, hence the name.

What are the common mistakes people make when working with "Annoying d/dx"?

Some common mistakes people make when working with "Annoying d/dx" include forgetting to apply the chain rule, miscalculating the derivative of a function, and not simplifying their final answer.

How is "Annoying d/dx" used in real life?

"Annoying d/dx" is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and to optimize functions in order to solve real-world problems.

Are there any tips for understanding and working with "Annoying d/dx"?

Yes, some tips for understanding and working with "Annoying d/dx" include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental rules and properties, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if necessary. It is also important to have a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry before diving into "Annoying d/dx".