Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annoying error message popups

1. Jun 16, 2003 #1
    Idont know if this is the right place for this, but it looked like it and I didnt see another thread of this sort, so here it goes.

Has anyone else had to deal with those annoying error message popups? Supposedly, the get to me through microsoft messanger service. Or at least http://www.messengerbuster.com/ claims so. Here is the really annoying part, I go to their website, where they claim this type of advertising is illeagal. But 90% of these adds I get are from THOSE FU@#*RS!!! So I emailed them , asking about this. From my isp account. Probably a stupid move, are they gonna mail bomb me now? Does anyone know a way to deal with this, other than buying their crap or using linux (or not going online obviously) ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2003 #2
    I don't quite understand where your problem is.
    But if you problem is in sending an email from your ISP's account, consider using www.sneakemail.com next time.
  4. Jun 16, 2003 #3
    You are talking about messenger service pop-ups, that appear as windows alert boxes.

Turn of your messenger service. To do so (if you are running w2k of xp), go Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Find the messenger service in the list. Change the Startup type to manuel and then click "stop" to stop the service.

That should take care of it.
  5. Jun 16, 2003 #4
    Or another way to do it : (on Windows based on NT tech. (NT,2000,XP))

Net Stop Messenger

Done !
  6. Jun 16, 2003 #5
    Thanks STAii and Considering , thats all I needed, and it was super easy! I hate messing around with windows, you never know when it could blow up on you.
  7. Jun 21, 2003 #6
    If the popups come shortly after you go online then there is a chance that you have some ad software that has placed itself in your computer. Download a program called ad-aware and run it. This program searchs your system including your registry for ad software and eliminates it.

I think this could solve your problem.
  8. Jun 21, 2003 #7
    Yes I have Adaware already, its great. It god rid of some crap I couldnt get rid of for months, that was driving me crazy.
  9. Jun 22, 2003 #8
    the free popup stopper i downloaded from cnet can not stop popup, why?
  10. Jul 3, 2003 #9
    The new google toolbar for IE has a built in pop-up stopper, very nice working!
  11. Jul 3, 2003 #10
    Just got it myself and second that.
  12. Jul 3, 2003 #11

Science Advisor

I've not tried in a while, but I always have problems with popup stoppers. Seems they stop anything that wants to open in a new window. Some even mess up framed websites.

Is the one you speak of any better?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?