Solving Annoying Integrals from Paper63.pdf

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
Rightarrow \cosh^2{t}=1+\sinh^2{t}=1+y^2\frac{dy}{dt}=\cosh{t}So \dot{y}=\frac{dy}{d \tau} = \frac{dy}{dt} \frac{dt}{d \tau}Therefore \dot{t}=\frac{dt}{d \tau} = \frac{dt}{dy} \dot{y} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\cosh{t}} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}So we get\frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1+y
latentcorpse
I'm on q4 of this paper:
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii/pastpapers/2008/Paper63.pdf
For the first bit i said the coordinates had ranges [itex]t \in ( - \infty , \infty) , \quad \chi \in [0, 2 \pi)[/itex]
Is that correct?

Anyway for the next bit we can take the equation [itex]g_{\mu \nu} u^\mu u^\nu =- \sigma[/itex] where [itex]\sigma = \begin{cases} 1 \quad \text{for timelike} \\ 0 \quad \text{for null} \\ -1 \quad \text{for spacelike} \end{cases}[/itex]

So take the null equation, we get [itex]\dot{t} = \cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}[/itex]
which gives [itex]\int d \chi = \int \frac{dt}{\cosh{t}}[/itex]

and the timelike one gives [itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \dot{\hi}^2 -1 = \sinh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2[/itex]
So this gives [itex]\int d \chi = \int \frac{dt}{\sinh{t}}[/itex]

I don't know how to solve either of these and wolfram is giving me a fairly complicated answer! which makes me think i have made a mistake. Can anyone tell me how to solve these?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of any identities for [tex]\cosh[/tex] and [tex]\sinh[/tex] that would allow you to write these in terms of simpler functions that would lead to an obvious change of variables?

fzero said:
Can you think of any identities for [tex]\cosh[/tex] and [tex]\sinh[/tex] that would allow you to write these in terms of simpler functions that would lead to an obvious change of variables?

Well yeah rewrite in terms of exponentials. The null one gives [itex]\chi=2 \tan^{-1}{e^t}[/itex] as expected.

The timelike one reduces to [itex]\chi = -2 \int \frac{dy}{1-y^2}[/itex] which I'm not sure how to solve. Wolfram says we get a complicated log expression. This will be hard to plot (see next part of question). Have I made a mistake?

Also, the spacelike case is even harder as we get [itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 + 1[/itex] which we have to solve but unlike the timelike case we can't make use of the identity [itex]\cosh^2-\sinh^2=1[/itex] and so we are left with the annoying [itex]+1[/itex] term which is causing me problem when it comes to separation of variables?

Thanks.

latentcorpse said:
Well yeah rewrite in terms of exponentials. The null one gives [itex]\chi=2 \tan^{-1}{e^t}[/itex] as expected.

The timelike one reduces to [itex]\chi = -2 \int \frac{dy}{1-y^2}[/itex] which I'm not sure how to solve. Wolfram says we get a complicated log expression. This will be hard to plot (see next part of question). Have I made a mistake?

That integral can be easily done by partial fraction decomposition, but you did make a mistake in the algebra that got you to it. There's a typo in your post #1 that made it hard to spot, but it's simply that

[itex]
\cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 -1 \neq \sinh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2
[/itex]
Also, the spacelike case is even harder as we get [itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 + 1[/itex] which we have to solve but unlike the timelike case we can't make use of the identity [itex]\cosh^2-\sinh^2=1[/itex] and so we are left with the annoying [itex]+1[/itex] term which is causing me problem when it comes to separation of variables?

Thanks.

For the spacelike and timelike cases, you have that

[tex]\dot{t}^2 - \cosh^2t ~ \dot{\chi}^2 = - \sigma.[/tex]

In order to solve this equation, I think you need to use the fact that [tex]\partial/\partial \chi[/tex] is a Killing vector, with an associated conserved momentum that you can use to substitute for [tex]\dot{\chi}[/tex].

fzero said:
That integral can be easily done by partial fraction decomposition, but you did make a mistake in the algebra that got you to it. There's a typo in your post #1 that made it hard to spot, but it's simply that

[itex]
\cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 -1 \neq \sinh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2
[/itex]
Right so it should have been [itex]\cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 -\dot{chi}^2= \sinh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2
[/itex]
So your saying that because we have a 1 not a [itex]\dot{\hi}^2[/itex] we can't make this substitution so should proceed as described below?

fzero said:
For the spacelike and timelike cases, you have that

[tex]\dot{t}^2 - \cosh^2t ~ \dot{\chi}^2 = - \sigma.[/tex]

In order to solve this equation, I think you need to use the fact that [tex]\partial/\partial \chi[/tex] is a Killing vector, with an associated conserved momentum that you can use to substitute for [tex]\dot{\chi}[/tex].

I find that the conjugate momentum is (which we can also get just by looking at the Euler Lagrange but I guess its best to think of this as arising from a KVF)

[itex]\dot{\chi} = - \frac{C}{2 \cosh^2{t}}[/itex]

However, take the timelike case:

[itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 -1 [/itex]
[itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \frac{C^2}{4 \cosh^4{t}} + 1 [/itex]
[itex]\dot{t}^2 = \frac{C^2}{4 \cosh^2{t}}+1[/itex]

We still have the cosh present though?

latentcorpse said:
Right so it should have been [itex]\cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 -\dot{chi}^2= \sinh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2
[/itex]
So your saying that because we have a 1 not a [itex]\dot{\hi}^2[/itex] we can't make this substitution so should proceed as described below?

I find that the conjugate momentum is (which we can also get just by looking at the Euler Lagrange but I guess its best to think of this as arising from a KVF)

[itex]\dot{\chi} = - \frac{C}{2 \cosh^2{t}}[/itex]

However, take the timelike case:

[itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \dot{\chi}^2 -1 [/itex]
[itex]\dot{t}^2 = \cosh^2{t} \frac{C^2}{4 \cosh^4{t}} + 1 [/itex]
[itex]\dot{t}^2 = \frac{C^2}{4 \cosh^2{t}}+1[/itex]

We still have the cosh present though?

It still looks like the integration (after some intermediate substitution) can be done by a trig substitution.

fzero said:
It still looks like the integration (after some intermediate substitution) can be done by a trig substitution.

I can't see it. What would the substitution be?

latentcorpse said:
I can't see it. What would the substitution be?

Start with [tex]y=\sinh t[/tex].

fzero said:
Start with [tex]y=\sinh t[/tex].

[itex]y=\sinh{t} \Rightarrow \cosh^2{t}=1+\sinh^2{t}=1+y^2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\cosh{t}[/itex]
So [itex]\dot{y}=\frac{dy}{d \tau} = \frac{dy}{dt} \frac{dt}{d \tau}[/itex]
Therefore [itex]\dot{t}=\frac{dt}{d \tau} = \frac{dt}{dy} \dot{y} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\cosh{t}} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}[/itex]

So we get

[itex]\frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1+y^2}} = \frac{C^2}{4(1+y^2)} + 1[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{1+y^2} \dot{y} - 4(1+y^2) = \frac{C^2}{4}[/itex]

Now we have that annoying term on the left. I was trying to complete the square or something but I can't get it...

latentcorpse said:
[itex]y=\sinh{t} \Rightarrow \cosh^2{t}=1+\sinh^2{t}=1+y^2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\cosh{t}[/itex]
So [itex]\dot{y}=\frac{dy}{d \tau} = \frac{dy}{dt} \frac{dt}{d \tau}[/itex]
Therefore [itex]\dot{t}=\frac{dt}{d \tau} = \frac{dt}{dy} \dot{y} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\cosh{t}} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}[/itex]

So we get

[itex]\frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1+y^2}} = \frac{C^2}{4(1+y^2)} + 1[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{1+y^2} \dot{y} - 4(1+y^2) = \frac{C^2}{4}[/itex]

Now we have that annoying term on the left. I was trying to complete the square or something but I can't get it...

The equation contains [tex]\dot{t}^2[/tex] and you only computed [tex]\dot{t}[/tex].

fzero said:
The equation contains [tex]\dot{t}^2[/tex] and you only computed [tex]\dot{t}[/tex].

Ok. So then I get [itex]\dot{t}^2 = ( \frac{dt}{dy})^2 ( \frac{dy}{ d \tau})^2 = \frac{1}{\cosh^2{t}} ( \frac{dy}{d \tau} )^2[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow ( \frac{dy}{ d \tau})^2 = \frac{C^2}{4} + \cosh^2{t} = \frac{C^2}{4} + 1 + y^2[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow d \tau = \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{C^2}{4}+y^2)}}[/itex]

This still seems horrific! I was thinking of substituting [itex]x^2=\frac{C^2}{4}+y^2[/itex] but then [itex]dx[/itex] has [itex]y[/itex] terms in it?

You can rescale y to put that in a form where you can go back to hyperbolic trig functions to do the integration.

fzero said:
You can rescale y to put that in a form where you can go back to hyperbolic trig functions to do the integration.

Ok. so I set [itex]y^2=\frac{C^2}{4}x^2 \Rightarrow dy = \frac{C}{2} dx[/itex]

[itex]d \tau = \frac{\frac{C}{2} dx}{\frac{C}{2} \sqrt{\frac{4}{C^2} + (1 + x^2)}}[/itex]

Now I can't see anything on this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_rules#Derivatives_of_trigonometric_functions

that will help integrate something in that form?

The derivative of [tex]\sinh^{-1} x[/tex] is [tex]1/\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex].

fzero said:
The derivative of [tex]\sinh^{-1} x[/tex] is [tex]1/\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex].

Hey. I don't know what's wrong with the latex at the moment but in my last post i had three terms in the square root. I had the 1+x^2 we want but also a C^2/4. How do we get rid of that?

Thanks.

By a linear change of variable.

fzero said:
By a linear change of variable.

The best I've managed is

[itex]t^2=x^2+\frac{4}{C^2} \Rightarrow x=\sqrt{t^2-\frac{4}{C^2}}[/itex]

so [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{2}{\sqrt{t^2-\frac{4}{C^2}}} = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

But then we have [itex]x dx =dt[/itex]

But in our last line we only had dx on the numerator so we're going to have an extra factor of x kicking about aren't we?

Note that

[itex]
\frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{C^2}{4}+y^2)}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{C^2}{4}}} \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1 + \frac{y^2}{1+\frac{C^2}{4}}}},
[/itex]

therefore we can rescale y to simplify this.

1. How do I approach solving an annoying integral from Paper63.pdf?

There are a few different approaches that can be used to solve an annoying integral. One strategy is to try breaking the integral down into smaller, more manageable parts using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. Another approach is to use numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the integral. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specific integral and your own problem-solving style.

2. What is the most common mistake people make when solving annoying integrals?

One of the most common mistakes when solving integrals is forgetting to account for the constant of integration. This can lead to incorrect solutions and can be easily avoided by always including the constant when integrating.

3. Are there any general strategies for solving annoying integrals?

Yes, there are a few general strategies that can be helpful when approaching annoying integrals. These include using symmetry to simplify the integral, looking for patterns or familiar forms, and considering the properties of the integrand (such as odd or even functions). It can also be helpful to sketch a graph of the integrand to gain a better understanding of the problem.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve annoying integrals?

Yes, there are many calculators and online tools available that can help with solving integrals. However, it is important to remember that these tools are only meant to assist in the process and should not be solely relied upon. It is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving integrals rather than just relying on a calculator.

5. How can I check if my solution to an annoying integral is correct?

One way to check your solution is to differentiate it and see if you get back the original integrand. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to plot the original function and the antiderivative you found, and see if they match up. Additionally, you can also compare your solution to the answer key or ask a classmate or tutor to review your work.