1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annoying q

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    Im getting really bugged by this question:

Let g and h be analytic in the open disc [itex]\{z \in \mathbb{C} : |z-a| < r \}[/itex], r>0and let [itex]f(z)=\frac{g(z)}{h(z)}[/itex]

if [itex]g(a) \neq 0, h(a)=0, h'(a) \neq 0[/itex] show that f has a pole at z=a and find the corresponding residue of f at a.

Now I initially though we had to Laurent expand the functions g and h but that got really complicated very quickly and i couldn't find anyway of sorting stuff out.
    then i tried taylor expanding them which was nicer but still didn't rearrange well.

so my 2 questions are:
    (i) how do i do the above problem, and
    (ii) am i correct in saying that you can't taylor expand a complex function you can only laurent expand it and if the negative coefficients turn out to be 0 then it reduces to a taylor expansion or are we allowed to do taylor expansions? if we are allowed to, aren't we ignoring the negative terms - is this allowed?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2
    Try proving first h(z)=zq(z) for some analytic q s.t. q(a) neq 0. [Here q(a)=??]

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3
    q(a)=g(a)/(a f(a))??? why are we doing this though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook