How Can I Solve This Annoyingly Difficult Integral for Homework?

• Thread starter mwaso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the person attempting to solve the integral dx/(1-x^2)^(3/2) first attempted to use the derivative of inverse sin, but was unsure how to handle the cubed term. They then tried a u substitution, but found that u=1-x^2 would not work. They then attempted to make du equal the derivative of inverse sin, but realized that this would not work as there was no inverse sin in the original equation. Finally, they consulted tables of integrals and found that the integral of du/(a^2-u^2)^(3/2) is equal to u/a^2(a^2-u^2), but were unsure how to derive this formula. They were given the
mwaso
Homework Statement

integrate dx/(1-x^2)^(3/2)

The attempt at a solution

I first noticed that the derivative of inverse sin equals (1 x^2)^(-1/2) and that my equation is that derivative cubed. However, I had no idea what to do with the cube, so I dicarded that thought.

Next I tried to do a u substitution. obviously I can't make u equal 1-x^2 because that leaves me with an extra x in my du that won't go away. I was inspired by remembering some powers of trig integrations to try to make du equal the derivative of inverse sin, but that also failed as I had no inverse sin in the original equation to replace with u and last I checked, I can't integrate du^3.

I finally checked my tables of integrals and found where the integral of du/(a^2-u^2)^(3/2) equals u/a^2(a^2-u^2). This seems to give me my answer, but I can't figure out how to derive that formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
From [tex]I=\int\frac{dx}{(1-x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex] apply the substitution [tex]x=\sin\theta[/tex]. Hint: you should get [tex]I=\int\sec ^2 \theta\, d\theta[/tex].

You probably substituted wrongly to get du^3

1. What makes an integral "annoyingly difficult"?

An integral is considered "annoyingly difficult" when it cannot be solved through traditional methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These integrals often require more advanced techniques or involve special functions.

2. How can I approach solving an annoyingly difficult integral?

The best approach to solving an annoyingly difficult integral is to try different techniques and methods, such as partial fractions, trigonometric substitutions, or series expansions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of advanced integration concepts and special functions.

3. Can an annoyingly difficult integral always be solved?

No, not all annoyingly difficult integrals have closed-form solutions. Some may require numerical methods or cannot be solved at all. In these cases, it is important to use approximation techniques or seek help from a more experienced mathematician.

4. Why are annoyingly difficult integrals important in science?

Annoyingly difficult integrals often arise in mathematical models and equations used in a wide range of scientific fields. Solving these integrals allows for a better understanding of complex systems and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving annoyingly difficult integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in solving annoyingly difficult integrals. Work through a variety of problems, familiarize yourself with different techniques, and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a mentor. It is also important to have a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical concepts.