1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annual vaccination

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The health care workers involved in taking care of patients affected by diseases like influenza have to be vaccinated annually. Is the above statement true? Give reason for your answer.
    2. Relevant equations

Not applicable here I think so.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Why they should be they vaccinated by the way. By handshaking can the virus infect other one or can it travel from air through nose into someone's else body?
    One time vaccination produces antibodies to fight a particular virus or bacteria or fungi. Then what is case with this influenza?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You should be able to find the answer to this question by looking up basic information about the influenza vaccine (for example, on google). If you do some reading, and come up with an answer, you can post it here and we'll say whether you're on the right track or not.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    Okay,
    Influenza virus can mutate rapidly since it has a RNA strand as a genetic material. Since RNA has no proofreading mechanism like DNA, the virus can have variations and vaccination( new type) is necessary annualy for producing new antibodies to fight these new kind of antigens.

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

6. Nov 10, 2015 #5
  7. Nov 10, 2015 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I'm not sure I know the answer to that question or if the answer here applies. Allergy is different than immunity in that exposure to allergens can make subsequent exposures worse, not better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted