Uncovering the Truth Behind Solar Eclipse Anomalies

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter ShashankX17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Solar
In summary: Nevertheless, the general public took notice and now there is a lot more interest in eclipse science than there used to be. For the most part, though, the research is fairly academic.
ShashankX17
There are many speculations according to which there are certain changes taking place in the Earth's gravitational field during a total solar eclipse(or partial) like strange movements in a oscillating pendulum before and after the eclipse(as observed by many scientists).

How factual are these observations?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ShashankX17 said:
Zero

As a tip, if the observations are published in a real journal (Nature, Astronomy and Astrophysics etc) or are reported in something like Scientific American or the BBC then they are probably worth considering.

If they are only reported on a website also devoted to seeing Elvis, Bigfoot videos and how 911 was a conspiracy by the Amish - then you can probably be a bit suspicous

Old wives tale, no gravitationally peculiar effects occur during an eclipse. The moon passes very near a solar eclipse position every month. Why would it be special when it actually passes in front of the sun? Superstitious nonsense.

I was in Bangalore during the annular solar eclipse which occurred on Jan 15 this year.
Around 85% of the sun appeared to be covered by the moon at that place,when i was seeing the eclipse at the peak hour around 1:30 pm through my protective goggles,at some point, i looked at sun without them for around 2 seconds(i am not joking!).I had heard about "eclipse blindness", i was worried about it throughout the day but nothing really happened to my eyes.

I don't know the exact reason why and how we can be blinded by directly viewing the eclipse or whether or not it actually blinds us.How long will it take for the symptoms to appear if it really happens?

ShashankX17 said:
There are many speculations according to which there are certain changes taking place in the Earth's gravitational field during a total solar eclipse(or partial) like strange movements in a oscillating pendulum before and after the eclipse(as observed by many scientists).

There have been no confirmed observations of anything odd gravitationally. However, there have been observations of weak atmospheric pressure waves apparently caused by eclipses, presumably as a result of rapid cooling within the area in shadow, and similar effects caused by sudden cooling could also affect other objects including buildings, so it is possible that small disturbances might be observed during an eclipse which are simply due to unusually rapid changes in temperature.

Let's not forget about fear and ignorance. An eclipse is a horrifying event for an illiterate villager in a backwater country.

Is any real science conducted related to an eclipse? I know that nearly a century ago the effects of General Relativity were demonstrated (falsely) during an eclipse, but are these now more media events than anything else?

Arch2008 said:
Is any real science conducted related to an eclipse?
Probably in biology more than astronomy.

I know that nearly a century ago the effects of General Relativity were demonstrated (falsely) during an eclipse
It wasn't falsified - the eclipse experiments pretty much confirmed GR. Although not quite as definitively as recorded at the time - some of the measurements were a bit marginal.

What are the different types of anomalies observed during a solar eclipse?

There are several types of anomalies that can occur during a solar eclipse, including the "diamond ring effect" where a bright spot appears just before or after totality, the "Bailey's beads" effect where the sun appears to have beads of light around the moon's edges, and the "shadow bands" effect where shimmering lines of light can be seen on the ground just before and after totality.

Why do some solar eclipses last longer than others?

The duration of a solar eclipse depends on several factors, including the relative distances between the Earth, Moon, and Sun, as well as the size of the Moon's shadow. If the Earth is closer to the Sun and the Moon is further away, the eclipse will appear shorter. The shape of the Moon's shadow also plays a role, as a longer, more elliptical shadow will result in a longer eclipse.

What causes a solar eclipse to have a different path each time?

The path of a solar eclipse is determined by the alignment of the Sun, Moon, and Earth. Since the Earth and Moon are constantly moving in their orbits, the alignment is different each time, resulting in a different path for the eclipse. Additionally, the tilt of the Earth's axis and the Moon's orbit around the Earth also contribute to the varying paths of solar eclipses.

Can solar eclipses have an impact on Earth's climate?

While solar eclipses can create temporary changes in temperature and light levels, they do not have a significant impact on Earth's overall climate. However, studying solar eclipses can provide valuable insights into the Earth's atmosphere and how it responds to changes in solar energy.

How often do total solar eclipses occur?

Total solar eclipses occur, on average, once every 18 months somewhere on Earth. However, the path of totality (where the eclipse is visible in its full form) is much narrower and can occur in different locations each time. The next total solar eclipse visible in the United States will occur on April 8, 2024.