1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anomalous integral

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to calculate [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{1-\sin{x}}\, dx[/tex] when I compute the indefinite integral I get [tex]2\sqrt{\sin{x}+1}+C[/tex] but when I evaluate it into the integration limits it turns out to be 0 wich doesn't make sence since the original function is clearly positive...I already tested this result in wolfram alpha and my calculation of the definite integral is perfect but when I tested the definite integral wolfram computed its value to be [tex]4\sqrt{2}[/tex]. I can't find out what's wrong with my procedure. Please help!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    The indefinite integral you computed is not right I guess. Wolfram Alpha shows that but when I do it in Derive I get another thing which verifies the result 4sqrt2...

This is what I get (no idea what floor is, guess it's the function?)

$$\frac{{2\cos x}}{{\sqrt {1 - \sin x} }} - 4\sqrt 2 \cdot FLOOR\left( {\frac{1}{4} - \frac{x}{{2\pi }}} \right)$$

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    @Hernaner28
    Floor's not even a continuous function, much less differentiable that cant possibly be a primitive for [itex] \sqrt{1-\sin{x}} [/itex].

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you computed the antiderivative you replaced [itex]\sqrt{\cos^2 x}[/itex] with [itex]\cos x[/itex]. That's only correct if cos(x) is positive. cos(x) isn't positive on [0,2pi]. I'd suggest you split the integral up.

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5
    Thank you very much guys, your contributions were very valuable; particularly thank you Dick, with your observation I solved my trouble

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook