1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anomalous zeeman effect

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The anomalous Zeeman effect is studied in an advanced student laboratory. A spectral lamp is filled with the vapor of an unknown atom. (It is unknown to the student.) The atoms are excited to the 2D5/2 state with a high frequency electromagnetic field. When a static magnetic field of 0.840 Tesla around the lamp is turned on, the single energy level is observed to split.

a)
    How many levels are observed?

b)
    What is the energy difference between the levels?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\Delta[/itex]E=ml[itex]\mu[/itex]bB

3. The attempt at a solution
    The thing that is throwing me off for part is the 5/2 so I am not sure how this plays a factor in the number of energy levels. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you understand what the left superscript 2 stands for? How about the letter "D" and the "5/2"? Perhaps you need to review "spectroscopic notation".

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    Ok so the J=5/2 is the total angular momentum, D means L=2, and then the 2 superscript corresponds to 2S+1 therefore the spin multiplicity=1/2. Correct right? then I am unsure of how to find part a from here.

5. Jul 31, 2011 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. Which of these numbers provides the zero-field degeneracy of the multiplet and what is the degeneracy? That is the answer to part (a).

6. Jul 31, 2011 #5
    ok so i got it using 2J+1, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook