Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anomaly-driven Decay of Massive Vector Bosons

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2

arivero

Gold Member

Yep, it is partly another derivative of the numeric thread, and partly of the recent article of MacGregor.

According my documentation, which could be ten years outdated in this topic, the decay of charmonium, when calculated via three virtual gluons, does not approach very well the experimental results. The article proposes to see it via two virtual photons via the anomaly.

4. Jul 14, 2005 #3

arivero

Gold Member

By the way, the review of Z0 decay has some nice implications, I am sketching a brief note about it.

5. Jul 15, 2005 #4

arivero

Gold Member

OK it is here. Going back to business as usual, it has been removed from ArXiV. It could be that the stated result, that for any charge content of the theory Z0 decay is minimum when Weinberg angle equal to the GUT angle, were already known, but I am unaware of it.

I have shown the comment to some more knowledge sources, and it seems that it does not appear in the literature, albeit surely "is just a curiousity, but it is sort of amusing".

On other hand, it is true that my writting style was very imprecise, so perhaps it has contributed to raise the rejection flag at ArXiV.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  6. Jul 15, 2005 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

It is beyond my ken what is going on. I dont understand the business of arxiv accepting and posting something and then removing it. Technically I also don't understand the issues, I just flagged the previous paper (...144) because i saw that it was by you and other people here might like to know.

7. Jul 15, 2005 #6

arivero

Gold Member

No, no, the new paper, "Ah, that 3/8", has been retired, ie it was accepted by the robot, rejected in pre-posting revision by some human. The one you flagged, Marcus, is still there. The funny thing is that I expected the contrary result.

I have edited the previous comment to avoid this misunderstanding. BTW, the ArXiV management has been able to answer fast this time, and they have got the right nail: "This repository is only for self-contained research results. Your attempted submission does not appear to be a substantive research document. " It is true, I am always too lazy to write self-contained documents.

8. Jul 15, 2005 #7

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

For instance the "T" in your paper. Is it a 5x5 matrix related to the generators
    of the SU(5) grand unified theory of Georgi and Glashow? Which combines both
    the 3x3 Gell-Mann and the 2x2 Pauli Matrices. (I only have Zee, ref 2)

It's not "directly evident" from the text. :smile:

Regards, Hans.

9. Jul 16, 2005 #8

arivero

Gold Member

Blame part on me, part on Zee's book... actually it is T3, the third component of isospin. It is 0 for the Right fermions, +1/2 for u,\nu and -1/2 for d, e. Or so :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?