1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anoother two questions

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. What's the difference between PERFECT SET and COMPLETE SET? Can I have an explicit explain to it, rather than a discribtion from definition?

2. How can I verify whether a set is compact or not more evidently and effective?

Tks!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, are you talking about topology? From your second question, I guess that you are but there are notions of 'perfect' and 'complete' sets for many different fields of mathematics. Topologically, a set is "perfect" if it is non-empty, closed, and has no isolated points. I don't recognize "complete set" in topology and cannot find any reference to it. Plenty of references to "complete set" of different kinds of things!
    Do you have a definition of "complete set"?

Precisely what is your definition of "compact" set? One way to determine if a set is compact is by showing that every infinite sequence of points in the set has a subsequence that converges to a point in the set. If you are talking about subsets of Euclidean spaces, then, of course, a set is compact if and only if it is both closed and bounded.

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    I mentioned "complete set", it was definded as: a set where every Cauchy sequence is convergent, from Chapter 2 of W. Rudin's Principle of Mathematical Analysis .

And "compact set" is definded as: every open cover of the set has a finite subcover. Thus the compact set I was talking about is of general difinition. And thanks for reminding me of the Euclidean one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?