Another Angular Acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a CD that accelerates uniformly when the play button is pressed. The problem requires finding the torque exerted on the CD, and the conversation includes equations and calculations used to solve the problem. However, the given answer to the problem may be incorrect.
jbgibson
The problem states: when the play button is pressed, a CD accelerates uniformly from rest to 450 rev/min in 3.0 revolutions. If the CD has a radius of 6.0-cm and a mass of 17-g, what is the torque exerted on it?

I used the the forumla tau = I * alpha; I = .5(0.017)(0.06)^2 = 3.06E-5;
in order to calculate alpha, I used wf^2 = wo^2+2alpha(theta); from this I get alpha = square root (wf^2)/(2*theta). I realize some converting is necessary so I convert 450 rev/min into 47.124 rad/s, and 3.0 revolutions into 18.50 rad. Applying these figures to solve for alpha, I get 60.018 rad/s^2. Finally, tau = I*alpha = 0.00184 N*m.

This is incorrect. Can someone direct me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equations, omega = alpha * t, and fi = ½ * alpha * t^2, these equations are like v = at and s = ½at^2 in linear motion. You also have two unkwons, so you can solve both.

Then use M = J*alpha.

alpha = wf^2/(2 theta) , no sqrt.
you see Work and Energy hiding in this kinematic equation?

lightgrav said:
alpha = wf^2/(2 theta) , no sqrt.
you see Work and Energy hiding in this kinematic equation?

I still don't have a clue where to go with this. I was in error, there is no sqrt., but the solution I'm getting is incorrect. The answer to this problem is 0.0072-N*m. How is that? What am I doing wrong?

I get the same answer as you. Maybe the given answer is incorrect.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a measure of the object's change in rotational speed.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of change in rotational speed, while linear acceleration is a measure of change in linear speed. In other words, angular acceleration involves rotation, while linear acceleration involves straight-line motion.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

4. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The main factors that affect angular acceleration are the object's moment of inertia and the net torque acting on the object. The moment of inertia is a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion, while torque is a measure of the force that causes rotation.

5. How is angular acceleration used in real-life situations?

Angular acceleration is used in many real-life situations, such as in the design of engines, vehicles, and other machines that involve rotational motion. It is also important in sports and activities that involve spinning or rotating, such as gymnastics and figure skating.