1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Angular Acceleration Problem

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    The problem states: when the play button is pressed, a CD accelerates uniformly from rest to 450 rev/min in 3.0 revolutions. If the CD has a radius of 6.0-cm and a mass of 17-g, what is the torque exerted on it?

I used the the forumla tau = I * alpha; I = .5(0.017)(0.06)^2 = 3.06E-5;
    in order to calculate alpha, I used wf^2 = wo^2+2alpha(theta); from this I get alpha = square root (wf^2)/(2*theta). I realize some converting is necessary so I convert 450 rev/min into 47.124 rad/s, and 3.0 revolutions into 18.50 rad. Applying these figures to solve for alpha, I get 60.018 rad/s^2. Finally, tau = I*alpha = 0.00184 N*m.

This is incorrect. Can someone direct me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2
    You have two equations, omega = alpha * t, and fi = ½ * alpha * t^2, these equations are like v = at and s = ½at^2 in linear motion. You also have two unkwons, so you can solve both.

Then use M = J*alpha.
  4. Nov 6, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

alpha = wf^2/(2 theta) , no sqrt.
    you see Work and Energy hiding in this kinematic equation?
  5. Nov 7, 2005 #4
    I still don't have a clue where to go with this. I was in error, there is no sqrt., but the solution I'm getting is incorrect. The answer to this problem is 0.0072-N*m. How is that? What am I doing wrong?
  6. Nov 7, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

I get the same answer as you. Maybe the given answer is incorrect.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?