1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another balloon problem

1. May 8, 2004 #1
    If the volume of a balloon is V=416m^3 and the surrounding air is T=13.8 C. The temperature of the air in the balloon is 213 C. What is the max amount of mass, in addition to the mass of the hot air, the balloon can lift? Density of air is of air outside balloon is 1.22 Kg/m^3.

I know I need to use the Ideal Gas Law PV=nRT. Also the pressure exerted on the balloon by the air in the balloon is = to the pressure by the air outside of the balloon. I know to convert C to Kelvin. The only thing related to mass in this prob is density. I am just stuck on where to go w/ this. Any help would be appreciated :)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the condition that needs to be satisfied for something to float ?

What is the mass of the hot air in the balloon ? Can this not be calculated using the Gas Law, assuming air is 80% N2 and 20% O2, and the pressure is close to 1 atm (by the argument you used) ?

Think about the first question and take it from there...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?