Can Two Batteries Simultaneously Act as Both the Source and Load in a Circuit?

• Thread starter Evil Bunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: If you add an external load, like a lightbulb, the current will flow in the opposite direction. So in the first case I*2r= 0 and I=0and in the second caseI*2r= 2E so I= -E/r.
Evil Bunny
Probably a very simple question, but I'm not sure of the answer...

We have two batteries.

Scenario 1: The positive terminals of both batteries are connected together and the negative terminals are connected together. Little to no current flows, correct?

Scenario 2:
The positive terminal of battery A is connected to the negative terminal of battery B.
The positive terminal of battery B is connected to the negative terminal of battery A.
Now we have lots of current flowing, correct?

In scenario 1, apparently no circuit was completed, yet in scenario 2 we must have completed a circuit... Why? Did both batteries (of scenario 2) simultaneously become the sources and the loads? How would you calculate the current flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Evil Bunny! :smile:
Evil Bunny said:
In scenario 1, apparently no circuit was completed, yet in scenario 2 we must have completed a circuit... Why? Did both batteries (of scenario 2) simultaneously become the sources and the loads? How would you calculate the current flow?

This is exactly what happens if you connect two 1.5 V batteries together the "correct" way, and then complete the circuit with only a wire …

the total voltage will be 3 V, and if the total internal resistance (plus the negligible resistance of the wire) is R Ω, then the current will be 3/R A, and the power drain (although you can't see it) will be 9/R W.

Evil Bunny said:

This makes me wonder exactly what we mean by the word "circuit". We certainly have a loop of some kind in scenario 1, but no current. (A simple metal ring with no battery is a loop, but without a current, unless there's a time-varying magnetic flux through the loop, of course.)

Scenario 1 has two batteries in parallel, so that "loop" is in itself a voltage source, having the same voltage as a single battery, like in this picture. But, should we call that a "circuit"? An open circuit perhaps? (Image from http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Notes/Batteries")

[PLAIN]http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/uploads/battery_parallel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess not... it's only a circuit if the negative side makes it's way back to the positive side. And apparently the source becomes it's own (very low resistance) load when we short the two terminals. Interesting...

It is a circuit (loop) no matter which way you connect them. The resistance of the circuit is 2r where r is the internal resistance of the battery. The sum of the emfs is E-E in the first case and E+E in the second case. (see Kirchoff's second law, for example).
So in the first case
I*2r= 0 and I=0
and in the second case
I*2r= 2E so I= E/r.
These cases bot refer to a circuit with just batteries. No external load.

1. How long do batteries typically last?

Batteries can vary in lifespan depending on the type and usage. On average, disposable alkaline batteries can last 2-7 years while rechargeable batteries can last 2-3 years.

2. Can batteries be recharged without damaging them?

Yes, rechargeable batteries are designed to be used multiple times. However, overcharging or using the wrong type of charger can damage the battery.

3. How do I dispose of old batteries?

It is important to dispose of batteries properly as they can be harmful to the environment. Many cities have designated recycling centers for batteries, or you can check with your local waste management company for proper disposal methods.

4. Can I mix different types of batteries in a device?

No, it is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in a device. This can cause uneven power distribution and potentially damage the device.

5. How do I know when a battery needs to be replaced?

There are a few indicators that a battery needs to be replaced, such as decreased performance, leaking, or the battery being unable to hold a charge. It is best to replace the battery when you notice these signs to prevent any potential damage to the device.