Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another boiling point question

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    In the attachment, i think the answer is c). However c) has the same molecular weight as d) and they are both alcohols. Is it that c) is not symmetrical, thus more polar as compared to d) and which is why c) should have a higher boiling point due to the stronger intermolecular forces?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

wow you're really racking up the questions. If you want the absolute answer, go to
    http://www.chemfinder.com

register

type up the formulas, all of the official data will be listed. Right now I'm thinking the butanol, however not quite sure; the only one which can particpate in reciprocating hydrogen bonding (each molecule accepts and donates) and has a significantly higher molecular mass (in reference to carbon chains).

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks, I was right. But not too sure bout my reasoning though...

5. Apr 16, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

do you have the answer to these questions? If so what was the answer to this question?

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5
    Nope, but i used chemfinder, and it was relevant to my answer, (mentioned in previous posts).

7. Apr 17, 2005 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and your answer was...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?