Another calc. question to check

• Thread starter laker_gurl3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the area bounded by two functions, y=sin(x) and y=x(pi)/12. The final answer is A=1.969 and the limits used are 0 and 2.446. The person is checking their work and using a calculator to integrate. They clarify that the second function is (x/12) multiplied by pi. After some back and forth, it is determined that the limits should be from -2.446 to 2.446 with positive areas on both sides.
laker_gurl3
Find the area bounded by y=sin(x) and y= x(pi)/12

the final answer i got was A= 1.969

Can anyone please confirm this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If that second function is y = x*pi/12 it is not correct

yeah..that's the second function..
well I am checking it over again, I am not sure how else i can do it

just to make sure, another way to write the second function is , (X/12) multiplied by pi

laker_gurl3 said:
just to make sure, another way to write the second function is , (X/12) multiplied by pi

That is correct. And you are trying to find the area bounded by the two functions. What integral are you doing, including the limits you are using?

i am using 2.446 and 0

2.446 2.446
| |
| sin (x) - | (x/12) multipled by pi
| |
0 0

Those are the correct limits. The correct answer is less than 1. Are you using a calculator function to integrate, or doing it by hand?

Well, the first part of the answer i got was .9845.. Then i multiplied by 2 to get the area of the other side... does that sound good?

laker_gurl3 said:
Well, the first part of the answer i got was .9845.. Then i multiplied by 2 to get the area of the other side... does that sound good?

OK sorry. I assumed you were talking about one side. My mistake.

You should have said your limts were from -2.446 to +2.446 with positive areas

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Another calc. question to check"?

The purpose of this question is to check the accuracy and understanding of a calculation or problem solving process.

2. Can you provide an example of "Another calc. question to check"?

Sure, an example could be solving for the perimeter of a rectangle given its length and width.

3. How do you know if the answer to "Another calc. question to check" is correct?

The answer is considered correct if it follows the correct mathematical process and yields the expected result.

4. Is "Another calc. question to check" only used in math or science?

No, this type of question can be used in various fields that involve calculations, such as engineering, finance, and statistics.

5. What should I do if I get a different answer than expected for "Another calc. question to check"?

If you get a different answer, double check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps. You can also seek help from a teacher or peer to review your work.