Another Calculus Book (sorry, quick one)

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding the right calculus book for someone who is not interested in rigorous analysis and is only looking to learn how to compute calculus based problems. The book "Stewart's Calculus" is mentioned and it is noted that although it receives criticism, many people have highlighted its good qualities. The conversation also touches on the relevance of learning topics like mean-value theorem and epsilon delta proofs for someone pursuing a career in engineering. It is suggested to try out the book from a school library to see if it suits their needs.
EEWannabe
Hey there, i'd really like a simple answer if I could =P

I'm considering buying Stewarts "Calculus";

browsing through these forums and amazon, it's amazing how much stick this book gets, although many people have highlighted its good qualities as well so basically;

I have no interest at all in rigour and analysis (pure maths) and am only looking to learn how to compute calculus based problems, is Stewart the right book for this?

Having browsed through some calculus textbooks from College & the library, all of them seem SO analysis based its unreal, one book insisted on teaching you mean-value theorum & epsilon delta proofs before touching partial differentiation, I want to be an EE major, is there any point in me learning any of that stuff?

Thanks again for reading, I realize there has been a million threads already on this, and have been trawling through them for literally hours, but I understand the priorities of EE/physics majors and math majors are not the same, so apologies for another one.

Physics news on Phys.org
EEWannabe said:
but I understand the priorities of EE/physics majors and math majors are not the same
I'm computer engineering, had to use the Stewarts book, adore it. Most of the other engineers I know also dig it, but the book is required for all the calc courses at my school. Grab a copy from your school library and see if it's your speed.

one book insisted on teaching you mean-value theorum & epsilon delta proofs before touching partial differentiation, I want to be an EE major, is there any point in me learning any of that stuff?
Sure. Some of this stuff shows up in the signal analysis/communications courses, but professors usually either give a brief refresher on the material or it's something you can jot down and look up later.

Last edited:

I understand the importance of finding the right resources for learning and I appreciate your desire for a simple answer. In terms of your particular situation, I would say that Stewart's "Calculus" is a good choice for learning how to compute calculus problems. It is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a popular choice for students who are not as interested in rigour and analysis.

That being said, it is important to note that some level of understanding in rigour and analysis can be beneficial in the long run, especially if you plan on pursuing a career in engineering or physics. These fields often require a strong foundation in mathematics, and having a deeper understanding of the concepts can help you in problem-solving and critical thinking.

However, if your main focus is on learning how to compute calculus problems, then Stewart's book should suffice. You can always supplement your learning with additional resources or seek help from a tutor if you feel the need for a deeper understanding of the concepts. Ultimately, the most important thing is to find a resource that works for you and helps you achieve your learning goals.

1. What makes "Another Calculus Book" different from other calculus textbooks?

"Another Calculus Book" focuses on real-world applications of calculus rather than just theory. It also includes interactive exercises and examples to enhance the learning experience.

2. Is "Another Calculus Book" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Another Calculus Book" is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them. It also includes helpful tips and explanations to assist with understanding.

3. Does "Another Calculus Book" cover all topics in a typical calculus course?

Yes, "Another Calculus Book" covers all the essential topics in a typical calculus course, including limits, derivatives, integrals, and multivariable calculus. It also includes advanced topics such as differential equations and vector calculus.

4. Are there any supplemental materials included with "Another Calculus Book"?

Yes, "Another Calculus Book" comes with a companion website that includes additional practice problems, interactive simulations, and video tutorials to further enhance the learning experience.

5. Can "Another Calculus Book" be used for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

"Another Calculus Book" can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. The interactive exercises and examples make it suitable for self-study, while the clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of topics make it suitable for a classroom setting as well.