1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Calculus Book (sorry, quick one!)

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    Hey there, i'd really like a simple answer if I could =P

I'm considering buying Stewarts "Calculus";

browsing through these forums and amazon, it's amazing how much stick this book gets, although many people have highlighted its good qualities aswell so basically;

I have no interest at all in rigour and analysis (pure maths) and am only looking to learn how to compute calculus based problems, is Stewart the right book for this?

Having browsed through some calculus textbooks from College & the library, all of them seem SO analysis based its unreal, one book insisted on teaching you mean-value theorum & epsilon delta proofs before touching partial differentiation, I want to be an EE major, is there any point in me learning any of that stuff?

Thanks again for reading, I realise there has been a million threads already on this, and have been trawling through them for literally hours, but I understand the priorities of EE/physics majors and math majors are not the same, so apologies for another one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    I'm computer engineering, had to use the Stewarts book, adore it. Most of the other engineers I know also dig it, but the book is required for all the calc courses at my school. Grab a copy from your school library and see if it's your speed.

Sure. Some of this stuff shows up in the signal analysis/communications courses, but professors usually either give a brief refresher on the material or it's something you can jot down and look up later.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook