1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Calculus Question

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    Alright, here is another problem I'm having trouble with. I used a technique I got off of someone on my other thread, and am just looking to see what should be done next.

Alright so first I got my equation for the surface area of a cylinder:
    SA = 2(pi)rh + 2(pi)r^2

and converted 500mL to 0.0005m^3

Then I put in my cost numbers:
    SA = 1.2[2(pi)r^2] + 0.4[2(pi)rh]

Now at this stage I used what I learned in the other thread and got the 'h' out of there by switching the volume formula around (V = (pi)r^2h) and substituting it for 'h'.

SA = (1.2)2(pi)r^2 + (0.4)2(pi)r[.0005/(pi)r^2)

Now I think I have to simplify and then take the derivative, but when I do that I get dr/dx's and then I get confused and don't know where to go. Anyone give me some tips?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    Before I even attempt this problem, I can tell you that there are no soup cans out there the size of a six-story building... 24 meters?

Anyway, you'll probably get confused by naming the cost function "SA," so rename it to "C." Then take the derivative of C with respect to r (dC/dr). There are no x's in there that you have to deal with.
  4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    Yes I know that number looks retardedly big. I copied it from the board but I'm sure she just made a mistake writing it. Just thought I'd post it incase you guys needed it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?