1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Can I get into for Grad school? I couldn't find a good enough anwser.

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    Another Can I get into " " for Grad school? I couldn't find a good enough anwser.

Topic
    I'll explain my situation, I'm dual major in Math & Physics attempting to get my Graduate degree in physics(Nonlinear systems :Optics, Q&M and Particle Physic). I know my 3.4 GPA is probably not good enough to get me into Cal tech, Harvard, MIT etc... However I do have a year (3 semesters) of undergraduate research in Optics, Q&M and Particle Physic, as well as, five letters of recommendations from professors that are alumni from Ivy league schools. I have been told that research and recommendation are the most important to acceptance into grad school.

All of my upper division and most of my lower division Math & Physics credits are A through B+ ;however because my first year attending college I attained few c's and a couple d's in random courses. I feel that with even all of 4000-6000 lvl classes, research, and letters of recommendation I am still screwed in my chances of getting in.

Things I have left to do:
    Take the GRE general & GRE subject
    apply

I am in my last years of school and really only have more math/physics and researcher electives to fill up my slot before graduation.

It would be nice to know if I actually have a chance of getting before I spend about 100 dollars and application to about 8 different schools.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2
    Re: Another Can I get into " " for Grad school? I couldn't find a good enough anwser.

Can't really say much about physics grad school. You could look here: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewforum.php?f=22

They seem to have different expectations about grades for whatever reason, so maybe 3.4 is really solid, I have no clue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook