1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another charge density

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    At two different points of an irregularly shaped conductor, the field had the following two values
    5.6*10^4 and 2.8*10^4 respectively. Find the local surface charge density at;
    1- the point with the greatest radius of curvature,
    2- the point with the smallest raduis of curvature.

I know that at the point with the smallest radius of curvature, charges tend to accumulate, meaning that the first field corresponds to the point of the smallest radius of curvatire and I used E = sigma/epsilon_naught to find the two local charge densities. The answers I have is the reverse of what I got, He gave he one I had for the smallest r as the one of the greatest r! Is there anything wrong here, me or him?

M B
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure charge will accumulate where the radius of curvature is smallest? :-)
  4. Nov 25, 2004 #3
    that is what is said on my book?

Charges tend to accumulate at the points at which radius of curvature is the smallest, that is at sharp points.

M B
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  5. Nov 25, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If like charges repel why would they want to crowd together in tight places when they can spread out over regions of lower curvature?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?