Another chem related math question

• Thread starter mister_mister3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, chemistry and math are closely related fields as math is essential in understanding and predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions. Some common mathematical concepts used in chemistry include algebra, logarithms, calculus, and statistics. Math is crucial in the field of chemistry as it allows scientists to quantify and understand the behavior of matter. An example of how math is used in chemistry is the Ideal Gas Law, which relates the temperature, pressure, and volume of a gas to its physical properties. This equation allows scientists to make predictions about gas behavior under different conditions.
mister_mister3
In the expression:

ksp = (3.42 x 10^-7) (6.84 x 10^-7)^2
= 1.6 x 10^-19

I don't understand how the final answer is found. Can someone show me a step by step? I'm attempting to understand how to do these types of questions! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're having trouble multiplying the exponents? I have a feeling you didn't ask the entire question.

Sure, I'd be happy to help break down the steps for you!

First, let's take a look at the given expression: ksp = (3.42 x 10^-7) (6.84 x 10^-7)^2

We can break this down into two parts: (3.42 x 10^-7) and (6.84 x 10^-7)^2. Let's focus on the second part first.

In scientific notation, when we have a number raised to a power, we can multiply the powers together. So in this case, (6.84 x 10^-7)^2 would become (6.84)^2 x (10^-7)^2. Since we are multiplying two powers with the same base (10), we can add the exponents together. This gives us (6.84)^2 x 10^-14, which simplifies to 46.7856 x 10^-14.

Now, let's look at the first part, (3.42 x 10^-7). We can rewrite this in scientific notation as 3.42 x 10^-7 x 1. This may seem a bit strange, but the number 1 does not change the value of the expression. We can then multiply this by our simplified version of the second part, 46.7856 x 10^-14. This gives us (3.42 x 10^-7) x (46.7856 x 10^-14).

To multiply numbers in scientific notation, we first multiply the numbers without their exponents: 3.42 x 46.7856 = 159.511152. Then, we add the exponents: 10^-7 + 10^-14 = 10^-21. This gives us a final answer of 159.511152 x 10^-21, which we can rewrite in scientific notation as 1.59511152 x 10^-19.

So, the final answer is 1.6 x 10^-19, as shown in the original expression. I hope this helps clarify the steps for you!

1. What is the relationship between chemistry and math?

The two fields are closely related, as chemistry involves understanding and manipulating the behavior of matter, which is quantified and described using mathematical equations and principles.

2. How does math play a role in chemical reactions?

Math is essential in understanding and predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions. This includes calculating reaction rates, determining the amount of reactants needed, and analyzing the energy changes involved.

3. What are some common mathematical concepts used in chemistry?

Some common mathematical concepts used in chemistry include algebra, logarithms, calculus, and statistics. These are used to solve equations, analyze data, and make predictions.

4. How important is math in the field of chemistry?

Math is crucial in chemistry, as it allows scientists to quantify and understand the behavior of matter. Without math, it would be challenging to make accurate predictions and measurements in the lab.

5. Can you provide an example of how math is used in chemistry?

One example is the use of the Ideal Gas Law, which relates the temperature, pressure, and volume of a gas to its physical properties. This equation allows scientists to make predictions about how gases will behave under different conditions.