1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another complex question

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(z)=u(r,theta)+iy(r,theta)... where x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta), use chain rule to show that [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]r=1/r([tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]) and [tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex]r=-1/r([tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]) are equivelent to the cauchy riemann equations.

2. Relevant equations
    CR equations: [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x=[tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex]y and [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=-[tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex]x

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok the im unsure by how i am meant to use the chain rule here? and instead of typing out the dirvative im goin to just write i.e d/dx..

i did, dz/dr=dz/dx*dx/dr=1(cos(theta) and dz/dtheta=dz/dy*dy/dtheta=rcos(theta)... but that doesnt make sense... its the same as the provided equations without the 1/r.. but if i do the CR equations i get, du/dx=1 and du/dy=0????

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2
    Your use of the chain rule is incorrect here.

Since we're talking about functions of several variables, the chain rule must consider all the possible derivatives. So for example:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    ok then, but can i ask how do u do dr/dx and dtheta/dx???? since r and theta are part of x?

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4
    do i rearrange?? coz r=x/cos(theta)?? then diffrentiate with respect to x?

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    ok so if i do the chain rule that elib gave... i get (1/cos(theta))*cos(theta)+-1/(r*sqrt(1-x^2/r^2)*-rsin(theta).... but when i do dv/dy i kind of get similar answer, but instead of the x^2 its y^2, and the last term is cos(theta) and not sin(theta)

7. Mar 28, 2010 #6
    ok for the x^2 and y^2 values, i subbed in there respecful values x=rcos(theta) y=rsin(theta) then i get...
    1+(sin([tex]\theta[/tex])/sqrt(1-cos^2([tex]\theta[/tex])/r^2))=1+(cos([tex]\theta[/tex])/sqrt(1-sin^2([tex]\theta[/tex])/r^2)), which clearly does no equal???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook