Unraveling the Equivalence: Chain Rule and Cauchy-Riemann Equations

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the chain rule is used in the proof to show that the Cauchy-Riemann equations are equivalent to the given equations. The correct use of the chain rule considers all possible derivatives and takes into account the relationships between the variables. Substituting the given values for x and y does not lead to the same equation, indicating an error in the calculation.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

f(z)=u(r,theta)+iy(r,theta)... where x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta), use chain rule to show that [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]r=1/r([tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]) and [tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex]r=-1/r([tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]) are equivelent to the cauchy riemann equations.

Homework Equations

CR equations: [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x=[tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex]y and [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=-[tex]\partial[/tex]v/[tex]\partial[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok the I am unsure by how i am meant to use the chain rule here? and instead of typing out the dirvative I am goin to just write i.e d/dx..

i did, dz/dr=dz/dx*dx/dr=1(cos(theta) and dz/dtheta=dz/dy*dy/dtheta=rcos(theta)... but that doesn't make sense... its the same as the provided equations without the 1/r.. but if i do the CR equations i get, du/dx=1 and du/dy=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your use of the chain rule is incorrect here.

Since we're talking about functions of several variables, the chain rule must consider all the possible derivatives. So for example:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

ok then, but can i ask how do u do dr/dx and dtheta/dx? since r and theta are part of x?

do i rearrange?? coz r=x/cos(theta)?? then diffrentiate with respect to x?

ok so if i do the chain rule that elib gave... i get (1/cos(theta))*cos(theta)+-1/(r*sqrt(1-x^2/r^2)*-rsin(theta)... but when i do dv/dy i kind of get similar answer, but instead of the x^2 its y^2, and the last term is cos(theta) and not sin(theta)

ok for the x^2 and y^2 values, i subbed in there respecful values x=rcos(theta) y=rsin(theta) then i get...
1+(sin([tex]\theta[/tex])/sqrt(1-cos^2([tex]\theta[/tex])/r^2))=1+(cos([tex]\theta[/tex])/sqrt(1-sin^2([tex]\theta[/tex])/r^2)), which clearly does no equal?

1. What is the meaning of "Another complex question"?

The meaning of "Another complex question" is not a straightforward answer as it can vary depending on the context and perspective of the person asking the question. It could refer to a question that is difficult to answer, a question that has multiple layers of complexity, or a question that requires in-depth analysis.

2. How do you approach answering a complex question?

When faced with a complex question, it is important to break it down into smaller parts and analyze each part separately. This allows for a more organized and structured approach to finding an answer. It is also helpful to gather as much information and research as possible to fully understand the question and its complexities.

3. Can you give an example of a complex question in the field of science?

One example of a complex question in science could be "What is the role of genetics and environment in the development of a certain disease?" This question requires a multidisciplinary approach and extensive research to fully understand the various factors at play.

4. Why are complex questions important in scientific research?

Complex questions are important in scientific research because they allow for a deeper understanding and exploration of a topic. By asking complex questions, scientists can uncover new information and make significant discoveries that can contribute to the advancement of their field.

5. How do you handle the uncertainty that comes with asking and answering complex questions?

Uncertainty is a natural part of scientific research, especially when dealing with complex questions. As a scientist, it is important to approach uncertainty with an open mind and to use it as a driving force to continue exploring and seeking answers. It is also crucial to acknowledge and communicate any uncertainties in research findings as it leads to more transparency and improvement of the scientific process.