1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE! gahh! i <3 DiffEQ

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
    Look whos back! I ran into another problem, i redid the problem twice and i keep coming out with the same answer!
    here is what i have:
    This is waht I submitted which was wrong:
    This is what
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2
    If you're having trouble doing it with sine and cosine, do it the old fashioned Ae^r1x + Be^r2x way using the complex roots. (It's an alternative method and chances are you'll make less mistakes)
  4. Feb 17, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If that is what you actually submitted, you might want to compare it closely to your handwritten answer- do you notice some missing parentheses?
  5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    Pseudo, this program that evaluates the expressions tells us to not use that form becuase it won't evaluate complex expressions inside the e^, so I have to use sin/cos. :(

Thanks i didn't catch that halls but it still told me, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I think i shall e-mail the professor and see if its corrrect and the program might just b f'ed up.
  6. Feb 17, 2006 #5
    Again, like last time, your differentiation is wrong! You seem to forget that there is a fraction in the exponential; your didn't include the denominator (1000) in the differentiation! It is the exact same mistake you did last time. I suggest you carefully go through the differentiation again.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  7. Feb 17, 2006 #6
    Okay i redid it, i'm not sure if its right t hough becuase the webhomeworks happen to be down. but this is what I got:
  8. Feb 17, 2006 #7
    I ended up with the equation

so B should be

However, I could have made a mistake. :smile:
  9. Feb 18, 2006 #8
    Hm...I tried my answer and your answer, switching the signs as well but can't seem to get it right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?