1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Convergence Question

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] be a uniformly bounded sequence of functions which are Riemann-integrable on [a,b]. Let
    [tex]F_n(x) = \int_a^x f_n(t) \, dt[/tex]
    Prove that there exists a subsequence of [tex]\{F_n\}[/tex] which converges uniformly on [a,b].

The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking, since [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] is uniformly bounded, there is an M such that [tex]F_n(x) \le M(x - a) \le M(b - a)[/tex] for all n, for all x. Now this automatically means that [tex]\{F_n\}[/tex] converges uniformly right? But then if [tex]\{F_n\}[/tex] converges uniformly, why is the problem requesting for a subsequence? I must have done something wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The f_n aren't given to be convergent. Sure the F_n are bounded, but that certainly doesn't mean they are convergent. Can't you think of a theorem that guarantees the existence of a uniformly convergent subsequence in a family of functions? What are it's premises?

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    You mean the Arzela-Ascoli Theorem right? The Wikipedia article actually states what I'm trying to prove I think:

the hypotheses being that the sequence must be uniformly bounded and equicontinuous. I have already shown that the sequence is uniformly bounded right? So all I need to show is that it is equicontinuous. I think I can handle that.

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?