1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another difficult limit

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    here it is:
    the teacher suggeste to solve it with de l'hopital, however it is not necessary

## \displaystyle \lim x \to +\infty\ (\frac{a^x -1}{x(a-1)})^\frac{1}{x}##
    with ## a>0## , ##a≠1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    the indeterminate formula is ## (\frac{\infty}{\infty})^0 ##
    but i thought of changing the variable ##x \to \infty## to ##z \to 0##
    such that i have the known:
    ## \frac{(a^{\frac{1}{t}}-1)}{\frac{1}{t}} = log(a)##
    so i obtain:
    ##(\frac{log(a)}{a-1})^{+\infty} ##
    but i don't know how to go on..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2
    Why don't you simply use the fact that the limiting operator respects division when the limits on the numerator and the denominator are defined? It simplifies the problem to a great extent.

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3
    ok, then it should be:

##\displaystyle \lim z \to 0 (\frac{a^{(1/z)-1}}{1/z})^z * \displaystyle \lim z \to 0 (\frac{1}{a-1})^z##
    ##=(log(a))^0*(\frac{1}{a-1})^0##
    =1

is it correct?

5. Dec 23, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your post #3 result is incorrect.

If [itex]\displaystyle \lim \, \ln(f(x))=L\,,\ \text{ then }\ \lim\, f(x)=e^L\ . [/itex]

So, look at [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to +\infty\ }\ \ln\left(\left(\frac{a^x -1}{x(a-1)}\right)^{1/x}\right)\ .[/itex]

6. Dec 31, 2012 #5
    I've found a possible solution, but I'm a bit dubious, could you please check it?
    1st situation: $0<a<1$

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to +\infty} (\frac{a^x-1}{x(a-1)})^{\frac{1}{x}}=\displaystyle \lim_{x \to +\infty} e^{\frac{1}{x}log(\frac{a^x-1}{x(a-1)})}##

If ## \lim log(f(x)) = L## then ##\lim f(x) = e^L##

##=\frac{1}{+\infty} log(\frac{-1}{-\infty})(=\frac{-\infty}{+\infty})##

With de l'Hopital

##\stackrel{\text{H}}{=} \frac{x(a-1)}{a^x-1} \frac{x a^x log(a) (a-1) - (a-1) (a^x-1)}{x^2 (a-1)^2}$ = $\frac{x a^x log(a) - (a^x-1)}{(a^x-1)x}##

= ##\frac{a^xloga}{a^x-1}-\frac{1}{x}##

##= \frac{0}{-1}-0=0##

## e^0 = 1##

Situation 2: $a>1$

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to +\infty} e^{\frac{1}{x}log(\frac{a^x-1}{x(a-1)})}=##
    ## =e^{ 0* log (\frac{\infty}{\infty})}##

I use de l'Hopital within the log (am I allowed to do this?)

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{1}{x}log(\frac{a^x loga}{a-1})## = ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##

de l'Hospital again

##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{a-1}{a^x loga} \frac{a^xlog^2a+0-0}{(a-1)^2}$ = $\frac{loga}{a-1}##

##=e^{\frac{loga}{a-1}}##

I didn't want to use the known limit = ##\frac{a^x-1}{x}=loga## because x had to go to 0 to apply that, while here it doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  7. Dec 31, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, don't try the "l'Hopital within the log". You are making life a lot harder by not using rules of logs. Split your log up into log(a^x-1)-log(x)-log(a-1).

8. Dec 31, 2012 #7
    oh, allright, i didn't think about it. so now it should be:

## \lim_{x \to +\infty}e^{\frac{1}{x} (log(a^x-1)-log(x)-log(a-1))}## = ##e^{\frac{\infty}{\infty}}##

using de l'Hopital i get:

##\frac{1}{a^x-1}log(a)-\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{a-1}## diving both numerator and denominator of the first member it becomes

##\frac{log(a)}{1-\frac{1}{a^x}}-\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{a-1}##=##log(a)-\frac{1}{a-1}##

=##\frac{e^{log(a)}}{e^{\frac{1}{a-1}}}##

Is everything ok now?
    at the beginning was it good to divide the limit in two different cases?
    Thanks a lot again

9. Dec 31, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's a very good idea to divide it into different cases. a^x behaves differently in the two cases. You are getting there. The derivative of log(a-1) is zero isn't it? It's a constant! And you forgot a factor of a^x in the first term, but the next line is correct, so I guess that's a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook