Advice Needed: Can I Work a Full-Time Job Before Graduation?

• Thread starter Norman.Galois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Work
In summary, the speaker is a graduate student who is finishing up their project and is almost done. They plan to submit their first draft to their supervisor in about 3 weeks and make corrections before doing a presentation. They are concerned about their funding ending on August 30 and are wondering if they can start a full-time job before then. They are willing to pay back part of their funding and have not seen anyone have a problem with this before. They have spoken to the Dean about it and have been given reasons why it may not be a good idea, such as the potential for thesis corrections to take a long time. However, the speaker believes they can still finish their project in a year part-time and does not want to risk being without
Norman.Galois
Ok, I'm a graduate student right now. Finishing up my project. I finished a rough draft, and now prepping up to complete the first draft.

Once first draft is done (I'm guessing 3 weeks at most), then I submit to my supervisor, then he reads it, then I make corrections, he reads it again, fix tiny mistakes and complete is done. Then a presentation.

Essentially, I'm almost done.

But I am funded until August 30.

My question is...

Do you think they would let me work a full-time job before then?

I don't mind if I have to pay back part of my funding. That's ok with me.

What do you thin? Any experience with this?

Note: I will be asking the Dean soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen anyone run into a real problem with you starting a full time job before finishing. I've seen supervisors who strongly suggest that you finish first, because these things tend to drag out if you're not completely committed to finishing. And thesis corrections can take a long time - especially when you get requests to change the font in all of the 56 graphs in your thesis, multiple times, or to re-plot data that you took three years ago and forgot to label properly.

Choppy said:
I haven't seen anyone run into a real problem with you starting a full time job before finishing. I've seen supervisors who strongly suggest that you finish first, because these things tend to drag out if you're not completely committed to finishing. And thesis corrections can take a long time - especially when you get requests to change the font in all of the 56 graphs in your thesis, multiple times, or to re-plot data that you took three years ago and forgot to label properly.

I'm sure you can finish it in a year part-time. Hardly a reason to turn down a good job offer.

I talked to the Dean and he didn't suggest it either but the reasons are horrible. Same as yours. Yes, things are tedious and can take longer. If you do corrections once a week, you should be done in 52 weeks!

In this hard economy, a job is important. I can't wait until I'm done and run the risk of going broke.

Note: Rough draft should be completed by May 15. I wouldn't take a job start date before June 15. That gives me another month at full-time to complete all corrections. And if not done, just do corrections part-time. I should be DONE ALREADY. This is mathematics in number theory. I don't have graphs or tests or simulations.

1. Can I work a full-time job while still in school?

Yes, it is possible to work a full-time job while still in school. However, it may be challenging to balance both responsibilities and it may require good time-management skills.

2. Will working a full-time job affect my grades?

Working a full-time job may have an impact on your grades, as it may take away time and energy from studying. It is important to prioritize and make a schedule to ensure that you are able to balance both work and school effectively.

3. Are there any benefits to working a full-time job before graduation?

Working a full-time job before graduation can have several benefits. It can provide valuable work experience and help you develop important skills, such as time-management and communication. It can also help you build a professional network and potentially lead to job opportunities after graduation.

4. How can I manage working a full-time job and attending classes?

To manage working a full-time job and attending classes, it is important to create a schedule and prioritize tasks. Make sure to communicate with your employer and professors about your availability and any potential conflicts. It is also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Is it better to work a full-time job or focus on my studies before graduation?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and priorities. Working a full-time job can provide valuable experience and skills, but it may also take away time and energy from studying. It is important to consider your academic goals and career plans before making a decision.