Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another d'oh moment

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Another "d'oh" moment

I learned something today and felt stupid for not having known it before...

The automated car wash that I use has a sign above the entrance: No Dually Trucks. I'd always wondered what that meant, but never bothered to ask the attendant.

Today I saw someone mention dually trucks in the comments in an article on cnn.com, so I finally did a Google search, and learned that these are pickup trucks with wide rear ends and four tires on the rear axle:

[PLAIN]http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2008/11/medium/toyota-tundra-diesel-dually-at-sema-2008_1.jpg [Broken]

Of course, I've seen these every day for years around here, but never knew what they were called. The crowd I hang out with doesn't use them, so I never hear anybody talking about them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Another "d'oh" moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoBLGE2cCdU

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Bucking for the 2011 Community Spirit award? You’ve got my vote.

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4

I had neither ever heard the term nor noticed the trucks, and I don't feel like saying "D'oh!".

6. Sep 16, 2011 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I know the term. Always thought it was short for 'dual axle', which would be a misnomer, since its not. But 'dual wheel' makes sense.

You wouldn't fit a double-wheel vehicle into those wheel slots some car washes use.

7. Sep 16, 2011 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Meh - I'd never heard the term before my first extended expedition below the Mason Dixon Line in my 20s. I think it has something to do with the people:pickup-truck ratio.

8. Sep 16, 2011 #7

Duly noted.

[PLAIN]http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/education/dueling/Dueling-01.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Sep 16, 2011 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think these are used mainly by building contractors and people in related trades. I've also seen them used for large RVs that require a 5th wheel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook