1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another doozie

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    Ψ(x,t)=A⋅exp(A|x|)⋅exp(−iωt)

Consider the one-dimensional, time-dependent wave function for infinite motion: (x,t) = Ae–a|x| e–it where A, a, and  are positive real constants. What are: (a) normalization constant A, (b) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of coordinate x, (c) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of x2, and (d) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of the square of momentum ^p2

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They look like they are straightforward to integrate... what is your problem exactly?
    Do you not understand what a normalization constant is, or how to calculate it, or did you get stuck in the integration, or ... ?

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    I know how to normalize a funtion but i am getting stuck in the middle of it... we have never normalize somthing like this before all we have ever done was matrices, i am not very strong in this type of math

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please show your work, up to the part where you are stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook