Can You Make Yourself Dream? - Josh's Question

• Thread starter josht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary, Josh says that it is possible to make yourself dream, but it is hard and most people can't do it. He also says that daydreaming is different because you can choose what you want to dream about, while dreaming at night is different because you can't control what you see.
josht
After recovering from Strep the last few days, I got some time to just sit down and read. I read Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Drems. Now for the most part, this book had all the answers to my questions...but one.

Is it possible to make yourself dream? (without the hypnotic stuff)

-Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "make" do you mean to choose what you want to dream about?

I guess I mean. Force myself to have a dream that I am able to remember.

Force while asleep? Or daydream?

josht said:
I guess I mean. Force myself to have a dream that I am able to remember.
The most common advice you hear about remembering dreams is to write them down as soon as you wake up. We usually remember them most vividly then. As you get involved in your waking life they fade from your mind and become harder and harder to recall.

Asleep Zenparticle

And zoobyshoe,
I do, the first thing I do when I wake up is to determine if I had a dream or not, and more days then other I don't recollect any dream.

I've known a number of people that say they cannot remember their dreams. Are you a heavy sleeper?

I find that I dream well if I go to sleep way before I am tired, like at 6pm
I hear that drinking coffee and then falling asleep before the coffee starts working makes you dream, but I have my doubts about this
as for remembering dreams, the only ones I usually remember are the ones that cause me to wake up for some reason... I think you have a better shot of remembering them if you sleep for a short while, like a few hours
also, does anybody else have this come up in their dreams> something begins chasing me, and I try to sprint in the other direction, but it's like I am going in slow motion no matter how hard I try to run

I almost always dream. I think its easier to remember them if you wake up more gradually. Or somtimes if I only half wake up, I'll continue deaming, and then its very easy to remember.

You could be right Gale, almost never do I wake up "on my own", my alarm clock does it for me ;)
Daydreaming is something different, I've read (and to some extent agree) that everybody is on the verge of daydreaming a hallucination, because anyone can look over to their side and an empty chair and hallucinate a vivid man sitting in it.
But why is night time dreaming different? Why can't you pick what you want in your dreams like you can in day dreams?

josht said:
Daydreaming is something different, I've read (and to some extent agree) that everybody is on the verge of daydreaming a hallucination, because anyone can look over to their side and an empty chair and hallucinate a vivid man sitting in it.
Eh? I can't do this, and I have only heard of very few who can. Are you actually able to hallucinate at will?

Well yea, not for a long time, because eventually you convince yourself that it's fake...Just look at a wall and make up a picture in your head and put it there. But it could also be because I am still only 15 and have a big imagination :)

josht said:
Well yea, not for a long time, because eventually you convince yourself that it's fake...Just look at a wall and make up a picture in your head and put it there. But it could also be because I am still only 15 and have a big imagination :)

I can easily make up a picture in my head, but there is no way I can project it onto a wall or the outside world in any fashion. It just simply doesn't happen.

A couple other people here reported they could do something like this in a recent thread, but
it is really a rare ability. I think it's very cool you can do this.

1. Can you really make yourself dream?

Yes, it is possible to influence your dreams through various techniques and practices. However, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to control your dreams completely.

2. How can I make myself dream?

Some ways to increase your chances of having a dream include keeping a dream journal, practicing visualization and relaxation techniques, and setting intentions before going to sleep.

3. Is lucid dreaming the same as making yourself dream?

No, lucid dreaming is a specific type of dream where the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming and can sometimes control the dream. Making yourself dream involves influencing the content of your dreams, but not necessarily being aware that you are dreaming.

4. Are there any risks to trying to make yourself dream?

No, there are no known risks to attempting to influence your dreams. However, it is important to practice good sleep hygiene and avoid using substances that may disrupt your sleep in order to have more vivid and memorable dreams.

5. Can anyone make themselves dream?

In theory, yes. However, some people may have a harder time influencing their dreams due to certain sleep disorders, medications, or other factors that affect their sleep. It may take some practice and experimentation to find what works best for you.