Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Dream Topic

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    After recovering from Strep the last few days, I got some time to just sit down and read. I read Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Drems. Now for the most part, this book had all the answers to my questions...but one.

Is it possible to make yourself dream? (without the hypnotic stuff)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    When you say "make" do you mean to choose what you want to dream about?
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    I guess I mean. Force myself to have a dream that I am able to remember.
  5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    Force while asleep? Or daydream?
  6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    The most common advice you hear about remembering dreams is to write them down as soon as you wake up. We usually remember them most vividly then. As you get involved in your waking life they fade from your mind and become harder and harder to recall.
  7. Nov 6, 2007 #6
    Asleep Zenparticle

And zoobyshoe,
    I do, the first thing I do when I wake up is to determine if I had a dream or not, and more days then other I don't recollect any dream.
  8. Nov 6, 2007 #7

Staff: Mentor

I've known a number of people that say they cannot remember their dreams. Are you a heavy sleeper?
  9. Nov 6, 2007 #8
    I find that I dream well if I go to sleep way before im tired, like at 6pm
    I hear that drinking coffee and then falling asleep before the coffee starts working makes you dream, but I have my doubts about this
    as for remembering dreams, the only ones I usually remember are the ones that cause me to wake up for some reason... I think you have a better shot of remembering them if you sleep for a short while, like a few hours
    also, does anybody else have this come up in their dreams> something begins chasing me, and I try to sprint in the other direction, but it's like im going in slow motion no matter how hard I try to run
  10. Nov 6, 2007 #9
    I almost always dream. I think its easier to remember them if you wake up more gradually. Or somtimes if I only half wake up, I'll continue deaming, and then its very easy to remember.
  11. Nov 7, 2007 #10
    You could be right Gale, almost never do I wake up "on my own", my alarm clock does it for me ;)
    Daydreaming is something different, i've read (and to some extent agree) that everybody is on the verge of daydreaming a hallucination, because anyone can look over to their side and an empty chair and hallucinate a vivid man sitting in it.
    But why is night time dreaming different? Why can't you pick what you want in your dreams like you can in day dreams?
  12. Nov 7, 2007 #11
    Eh? I can't do this, and I have only heard of very few who can. Are you actually able to hallucinate at will?
  13. Nov 7, 2007 #12
    Well yea, not for a long time, because eventually you convince yourself that it's fake...Just look at a wall and make up a picture in your head and put it there. But it could also be because I am still only 15 and have a big imagination :)
  14. Nov 7, 2007 #13
    I can easily make up a picture in my head, but there is no way I can project it onto a wall or the outside world in any fashion. It just simply doesn't happen.

A couple other people here reported they could do something like this in a recent thread, but
    it is really a rare ability. I think it's very cool you can do this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?