Creating an Egg Drop Contraption: My First Try

In summary: Your teacherIn summary, the egg drop experiment involves creating a contraption that will protect an egg as it falls from a 7-meter building. The contraption will be graded on total weight, time aloft, accuracy, and the condition of the egg. Understanding the physics behind the egg drop, considering the weight and shape of the contraption, air resistance, the landing surface, and following the guidelines are all important factors in achieving a successful outcome. Researching examples and seeking various sources of information can also be helpful in designing a successful contraption. Good luck with your experiment!
trrlove
I was thrilled when I got the Lab Sheet for the Egg Drop! I had seen all of the older kids do it and now it was my chance! It never clicked with me that there were actual concepts and directions in play so that brings me here, making yet ANOTHER egg drop thread!

Basically we are being graded based on:
total wight (minimum)
time aloft (maximum)
accuracy (must hit a target [right below the dropping point])
egg condition

Time Aloft
__________________________ + Egg Condition
Weight x Distance from Target

We will be dropping the contraption off an approx. 7 meter building.

Any piece of wisdom/ information will be extremely helpful! A variation of sources (videos, diagrams, write-ups...) will also be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

I'm glad to hear that you are excited about the egg drop experiment! It can be a fun and challenging activity that incorporates important scientific concepts.

In order to maximize your chances of success, here are some tips to keep in mind:

1. Understand the physics behind the egg drop: The key to a successful egg drop is understanding the principles of gravity, air resistance, and impact forces. The egg will be subjected to these forces as it falls from the building, and your contraption will need to be designed to minimize their effects.

2. Consider the weight and shape of your contraption: As you mentioned, the total weight of your contraption will be taken into account in your grade. Therefore, it's important to find a balance between making your contraption lightweight enough to fall slowly, but also sturdy enough to protect the egg. You may want to experiment with different materials and shapes to find the best combination.

3. Think about air resistance: Air resistance can greatly affect the time aloft of your contraption. You can increase air resistance by adding things like parachutes or feathers to your design. However, be careful not to make your contraption too bulky, as this can also affect its accuracy and distance from the target.

4. Consider the landing surface: The surface that your contraption will land on can also impact the condition of the egg. You may want to test your design on different surfaces to see which one provides the best protection for the egg.

5. Make sure to follow the guidelines: It's important to carefully read and follow the guidelines provided for the experiment. This will ensure that you are meeting all of the criteria for your grade and also ensure the safety of yourself and others.

In addition to these tips, you can also do some research and look for examples of successful egg drop contraptions online. There are many videos, diagrams, and write-ups available that can provide inspiration and ideas for your design.

I wish you the best of luck with your egg drop experiment and hope that these tips will help you achieve a successful outcome!

1. How do I start designing my egg drop contraption?

The first step in designing your egg drop contraption is to research different materials and techniques that have been successful in past egg drop experiments. This will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't. Next, sketch out your design and consider factors such as weight, impact resistance, and cushioning for the egg.

2. What materials should I use for my egg drop contraption?

There is no one material that is best for an egg drop contraption, as it depends on your design and personal preference. Common materials include foam, bubble wrap, straws, cotton balls, and even paper cups. You can also use household items such as cardboard boxes, plastic bags, and rubber bands.

3. How can I make sure my egg will survive the fall?

To increase the chances of your egg surviving the fall, you should focus on creating a cushioning system that will absorb the impact. This can be achieved by using materials with shock-absorbing properties, such as foam or cotton balls, and creating a secure enclosure for the egg within the contraption.

4. Can I test my egg drop contraption before the actual experiment?

Yes, it is highly recommended to test your egg drop contraption before the actual experiment. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments and ensure that your contraption is working as intended. You can conduct a test drop from a lower height to simulate the impact of the actual experiment.

5. How can I improve my egg drop contraption for future experiments?

After completing your first egg drop experiment, take note of any areas that could be improved and make changes for future experiments. You can also research other designs and techniques used by successful egg drop contraptions and incorporate them into your own design. Keep testing and refining your contraption to achieve the best results.