Another Electric Field Question

In summary, a small drop of water is held motionless in air by an upward electric field with a magnitude of 8480 N/C. The drop has a mass of 3.50 x 10^-9 kg and the excess charge on it is positive, causing the electrostatic force to point upward. There are 2.53 x 10^7 protons residing on the drop. The downward force can be calculated using mechanics.
thursdaytbs
So the question reads:

"A small drop of water is suspended motionless in air by a uniform electric field that is directed upward and has a magnitude of 8480 N/C. The mass of the water drop is 3.50 x 10^-9 kg. (a) Is the excess charge on the water drop positive or negative? Why? (b) How many excess electrons or protons reside on the drop?"

The correct answers are:
(a) Positive, so that the electrostatic force points upward.
(b) 2.53 x 10^7 protons

I really wasn't sure where to begin, so I wrote some equations down.
I tried using F=Eq, or E = F/q where the E = 8480, but I wasn't sure about F or q. There was an equation that said something = q/A but I don't have A or q.

I think the main part I'm missing is converting the 3.50 x 10^-9kg of H2O into how much charge it has. Can anyone give me some direction as to where to go for this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
thursdaytbs said:
So the question reads:

"A small drop of water is suspended motionless in air by a uniform electric field that is directed upward and has a magnitude of 8480 N/C. The mass of the water drop is 3.50 x 10^-9 kg. (a) Is the excess charge on the water drop positive or negative? Why? (b) How many excess electrons or protons reside on the drop?"

The correct answers are:
(a) Positive, so that the electrostatic force points upward.
(b) 2.53 x 10^7 protons:
You are correct that F=qE gives the upward force. What is the downward force (hint: think mechanics not electricity)?

AM

Firstly, great job on writing down relevant equations and identifying what information is missing. This is the first step in solving any physics problem.

To solve this question, we need to use the equation F=Eq, where F is the electrostatic force, E is the electric field, and q is the charge. We also know the mass of the water drop, which we can use to find the number of excess electrons or protons residing on the drop.

To start, let's rearrange the equation to solve for q: q = F/E. We have the value for E (8480 N/C), but we still need to find the value for F. To do this, we can use the equation F=ma, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration. In this case, we can use the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging in the values, we get F = (3.50 x 10^-9 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 3.43 x 10^-8 N.

Now, we can plug this value for F into our original equation, q = F/E, to find the charge on the water drop. q = (3.43 x 10^-8 N)/(8480 N/C) = 4.05 x 10^-12 C.

Since we know that the electric field is directed upward, the excess charge on the water drop must also be positive in order for the electrostatic force to point in the same direction.

To find the number of excess electrons or protons, we can use the fact that the charge on one electron is 1.6 x 10^-19 C. So, dividing our charge on the water drop (4.05 x 10^-12 C) by the charge on one electron, we get 2.53 x 10^7 electrons/protons.

Therefore, the excess charge on the water drop is positive and there are 2.53 x 10^7 protons or electrons residing on the drop.

I hope this helps guide you in solving this question. Remember to always start by identifying what information you have and what you need to find, and then using the relevant equations to solve for the missing values. Good luck!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field surrounding an electrically charged object or particle. It is the force exerted on other charged particles in the vicinity of the charged object.

2. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which measures the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

While an electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force on a charged particle, electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

4. How does an electric field influence the motion of charged particles?

An electric field can exert a force on a charged particle, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field if the charge is positive, or in the opposite direction if the charge is negative.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as computers and mobile phones, power generation and distribution, medical equipment, and even in everyday objects like hair dryers and microwaves.